1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Winterizing sprayer

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Hogjaw, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Hogjaw

Hogjaw LawnSite Senior Member

Been using antifreeze. However, last winter we used windshield washer. Antifreeze was $8.00 and the washer fluid was only a couple of bucks a gallon.

Also recirc'd through hose back into tank to mix.

In spring pumped out into 2-1/2 gallon jugs and saved.

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Good idea! I have been thinking about doing the same thing. I have used RV antifreeze in the past but its about $6 per gallon. I don't think there is anything in the washer antifreeze that will damage the seals or anything in the pump! another good thing is you can just use it up in the spring when you drain the spray tanks! I guess you could use it in the PG tires too?
  3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Me too. Used the windshield fluid in my Permagreen. I have got a 2.5 gallon jug reserved to save it next spring. Never thought about using it up in my pickup tho.
  4. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

hey indy, thrifty in brownsburg has the rv antifreez for $3gal.

when i winterize, i just disconnect the return, suction and the hose to hose reel, start pump run 1gal thru it, dump a gal in the tank, and blow the hose reel out with air.
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I use the RV antifreeze, (environmentally safe) but I don't use anywhere near the whole gallon. Another thing to consider is, is that you can pump it right back into the jug in the spring if you want. I think I would be just a bit concerned about the alcohol or glycol that is in the windshield solutions damaging the seals.
  6. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I usually use windshield washer fluid. Never had a problem harming pumps. Herbicides also contain harsh solvents. My roller pumps I flush clean and fill with diesel fuel. This might work for my Permagreen pumps also.
  7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I disconnect the Permagreen Ultra pump switch in the spring, because I usually apply crabgrass control in spring--and I don't want to hit the switch by mistake and spray antifreeze on someone's lawn. I am always a little worried about the antifreeze killing some grass on the first lawn of next year, in case I can't get it completely out when I remove the antifreeze (windshield fluid). I need to rinse with water once temps are usually above freezing, but there is no legal way to dispose of the first rinse water.
  8. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

What about 'non-tox', the stuff they use in boats?
  9. Hogjaw

Hogjaw LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks all for response.