Winterizing Techniques

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by chemtech, Oct 14, 2003.

1. chemtech

chemtech LawnSite Member

Does anyone ever install QCV (quck Coupler Valves) after the backflow preventor and before the master valve to use for winterizing.

We install the BFP then within the next 2' QCV then right next to that a Master valve.

Kinda bad to have 3 boxes 1 12" and 2 6" or 10" within the first 10 foot of the connection. but just wondering......
  2. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I've run into them before. Usually on larger, older commercial properties.
  3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Most resi. systems here don't have them. It's another added cost that could lose the job since the market here can be tight. But it could be a good add on feature to sell.

I did see an ad in a trade magazine that has a hose installed in a valve box and you somehow attach it to the manifold or mainline. I'll see if I can find it online and post a link.
  4. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

just install a boiler drain when the water comes out of the home...makes life easy.

creskill 4.jpg
  5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

That boiler drain does not meet code here. The homeowner can hook up with a hose and possibly cause problems. Yes it is unlikely, but that is what the code says.
  6. hey that your install in that picture? Why is the valve so darn close to the house?....why not copper coming down? Just curious....thought you were a high end irrigation company. Around here we see lots of leaky valves over the years...just like you do....because of that I never let my guys install a valve that close to the foundation of a house....bad in my eyes. We also always on new installs use copper going down into the ground...much safer...maybe in the cold climates there is a reason for pvc?
  7. chemtech

chemtech LawnSite Member

On our installs we now hook the double check BFP up as close to the water meter as possible so we are not fitting water pressure and double runs.

We run a "T" off the main water line next to the meter then 90 up into BFP in a 12" or jumbo box then to QCV then to master valve then out.

Even if the QVC is a cost you eat its a lot easier for me and my guys to go up open 6" or 10" valve box put in QCV key and winterize so we don't have to take backflow out and connect there.

Also against codes in missouri to have any device other than shut off between BFP and Supply connection......
  8. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

For our customers we have our backflow devices installed on unions. We turn off the meter and remove the backflow and drain all water from within. For some customers we put the assembly on the truck and store the device at our shop for the winter, others we just leave the water turned off and reattach the unions. This is all we do for winterization. Our frostline is not that deep.
  9. MOlawnman

MOlawnman LawnSite Member

For our new installs we simply install a tee between BFP and the master valve. On that tee we go straight up to a PVC ball valve with a male garden hose adaptor. We can hook our air line up to that for blowouts. We install the blow out port in the same box as the backflow if it is installed in a pit (code here only requires a double check which we think is better that a PVB) and where the backflow is in the basement then we install it in the same box as the master valve.
  10. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

I don't know if you know that or not, but it's a master valve. The valve converts from PVC to poly, the reason for the master valve is because the poly can't really stand the constant pressure when the valves are off, but you probably know that. :D