Winterizing Toro Z

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by MJ's Lawncare Services, Nov 1, 2006.

1. MJ's Lawncare Services

MJ's Lawncare Services LawnSite Member

Any suggestions what all you guys do when you put the mower away? Stabil in gas, the right weight oil, all that technical stuff. I want to winterize my mower right this time. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

i drain all gas out, run the machine till it dies. grease everything. change oil and filter. put her in the garage and thats it.

3. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

I fill 'em up with gas and add Stabil, change oil, spark plug, fuel, air, and oil filters, and clean & lube all moving parts. This year I will also be Fluid Filming everything (I love that stuff).

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I drain all fuel, shut the petcock valve and leave them be.
    The fuel then gets used by other machines, like the pushblower.

As for the oil and filter, that waits until spring but I DO run a synthetic...
    I tried, once, to drain the oil and wait until spring to add fresh, but that is a bad idea (I got lucky lol).

As for additives, I add about a half pint of 110 Sunoco leaded racing fuel, since it consists mostly of additives so it's only $5.40 / gallon, this stuff goes in my fuel year-round.

5. 2menandamower

2menandamower LawnSite Member

I got an idea from my dixon rep and that is to put a piece of Duct tape over the muffler hole to prevent spiders etc form building nest in it or dust settling in the valves through the muffler..... Also lube every moving part and change the oil and filter and drain the fuel and run it till it dies then crank it a few times (knowing it won't start) just to make sure that there is nothing left in the carb to gum up....

6. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

I signed up for the toro e-mails and they just sent me one to this regard, however I didn't look at it closely and deleted it, check out their web site and sign up for their e-mail, tech tips, maybe they will send it to you.

7. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

A few drops of "Marvel Mystery oil" in the oil, gas, and in the cylinders!

I would also consider puting it on blocks as to not cause a flatspot on the casters (if yours are solid) and it's better on your drive tires too.

Drain the oil warm, it's thinner.

Scrap the grass from the underside of the deck to prevent rust.

Cover it.

If you use a fuel stabilizer (I would rather drain the tanks myself) make sure your tanks are full.

My 2 cents.

8. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

Add stabil and a bit of Marvel Mystery oil or two cycle oil to gas and run a bit. Change oil depending on hours. I keep in a insulated storage shed and keep a electric radiator type heater on low so it does not freeze, mainly because as general purpose storage I have some water based paints in there.
    With low heat I do not have a rust problem. I hot wired a low amp battery maintainer and keep it plugged in so batteries last a long time. Have origional battery still going strong in a 7 year old JD lawn tractor!!!