winterizing turf and shrubs, what do you do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by osc, Sep 11, 2000.

1. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

I was asked to write a short article for a local newspaper on preparing lawns and shrubs for winter. I have a fews comments on things like thorough leaf removal, cutting height, aeration, fall fert, winter fert etc.. I know that Lesco has a chem for freeze damage on shrubs but I have never used it. Any coments would be mucho appreciated. My location is southern Ohio.
    THANKS!

2. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

Never dealt with Lesco. Ive only used Wilt Pruf sold at Home Depot if thats what you mean. This anti dessicant does work well and prevents wind burn due to hi winds. In my area there are alot of new developments going up which leaves room for wind burn. If I install any plant in Oct or Nov. I apply it just as a precaution.

3. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Just before fall I apply Scotts Winterizer fertilzer. I have been using this for about 5 years. My grass is the greenest in the negihborhood when spring rolls round. I buy it at Lowes or Wal-Mart which ever has the best price. There might be cheaper stuff out there, not sure how it stacks up with the Scotts. Good Luck,
    Mowman

4. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

late october i put high nitrogen fertilizer on my lawns. I cut later than most others and start cuting about 2 weeks earlier than most landscapers in the spring.

5. Ocutter

As far as fert I use Lesco fall fert 18-2-18. Lawns I use it on green up real nice.
    Evan- depending on where u live, your method is pushing grass to its limits which is dangerous. All that N will make the grass grow, but suppose you get a wet winter or spring. All the new growth in the fall is susceptible to diseases like sooty and slime mold. And in the spring the grass will GROW faster than you can blink. I do spoon feedings of N to control that. Less clippings and less work. If you live in a drier area youre safe but say in NY fert earlier or cut lower than usual in the fall.

6. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I thought the same things as you a few years ago about using a high N fert in the fall untill my lesco dealer convinced me to try it. It worked so nice and kept the lawn green so long into the winter and greened the lawn up so fast in the spring that i was convinced. I have had no trouble with any disease and do not notice a unussual gorwth surgw in the spring.

7. Ocutter

Evan - I dont want to be left out. What are the counts on the fert. u use? Are they the same as the ones I use 18-2-18? If so I'll try that.