Winterizing with Pre-m

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by dwost, Sep 30, 2004.

1. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok guys, I thought I remember reading last year someone posting about winterizing with a pre-emergent product? I'm thinking of doing this in Nov. I use all Lesco products so I'll be using one with Dimension. What are your thoughts on this? Is there a true benefit or should I wait till spring and use a starter fert for this winter. Please advise. TIA

Don

2. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

well, there may be some benefit on some lawns...but not the majority of lawns.

any lawn that has had a problem with poa annua would benefit. lawns that are crazy with chick weed might benefit. otherwise not a benefit and a cost you dont need to have
    my opinion go with a straight fert for a 'winterizer' also not so sure of any benefit to use a starter fert?

3. dwost

TSM, thanks for the feedback. I actually have a few patches of poa annua that made it's way into my Kentucky Blue. I'd like to eliminate it next year, but no other weeds are present. This is for my yard only so I'm not worried about he cost as I'm only looking at a few $$ more. As for the starter, I applied 25-2-11 about a month ago and should have plenty of residual N so I thought I'd beef up on the P and K for next year. I may just do the dimension anyway as it can't hurt and I'd like to see if it eliminates the poa issue next spring.

4. TSM

from MA

in my opinion you would be better off using PreM (pendelmethalin..not sure how to spell it...but you know the yellow stuff) rather than dimension. it does a better job on poa

good luck

5. dwost

Great, thanks for the feedback. I just checked and my local Lesco's only have the liquid form in stock. Do you know where I can get it in the granular, combination form?

6. TSM

from MA

hmmm, guess that might be a little tricky this time of year. If your lesco dealer is a good guy he will call other lesco service centers and get you a bag or two.
    you can check the lesco web site as well yourself. they'll tell ya what service centers have on the floor

go to
    www.lesco.com
    put in your zip code

7. dwost

Thanks, I already did that. :) I logged into my account and checked 6 stores that are in the vacinity. Didn't find much. I may have to wait till spring and get an early start on the Pre-M