Lawn Care Forum banner

Winterizing your mower

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  FF/EMT MCES 
#1 ·
What, if anything, do you guys/gals do to "winterize" your mower? Do you disconnect the batteries, add Stabil to the gas, or other things?

#2 ·
I have heard most guys draining the gas tanks for the winter.....
I have used Stabil in my 21" mowers the last few years (make sure to run the mowers for a few minutes with Stabil in the tank) and had absolutely no problem starting them up in the spring.
I also make sure everything is washed down and clean (decks especially) AND I do all fresh oil changes and blade sharpens going into the winter so that the machines are ready to go in the spring.

#4 ·
I have been using SeaFoam instead of Stabil the last few years and have been very happy with it. I also change the oil out, so they have clean, moisture free oil in them. If you have the ability to shut off the fuel supply, I recommend doing that as well. After I add the SeaFoam, I will mow my own lawn, or a couple of lawns, to work it in, then when I put the mower away, I will shut off the fuel line and let it run until it empties the carb and dies. I check all the belts, replace if worn, change out the plugs and the airfilters, grease 'em good and put them to bed for the winter.

#7 ·
If you choose to use stable or seafoam and not drain your tanks make sure you fill them right to the top. The exposed surface area (half tank, quarter tank) on the walls of tanks is were condensation occurs resulting in water in your gas. By filling right to the top with a good dose of seafoam you eliminate that problem. As stated earlier you have to run the machine for a while to make sure the seafoam is all the way through the system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.