Winterizing

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by chesapeake, Nov 23, 2001.

1. chesapeake

chesapeake LawnSite Member

I am wondering, how important is it to oil the cylinder of my lawnmower and weedeater motors for the winter ??? Also, how about draining the fuel ???

I never have in the past, but was reading the owners manuals today and it says to do it when storing over 30 days.

2. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

It would be a good idea to oil cylinders. When they are running during the year, cylinder walls are constatnly lubricated. But sitting unused for several months, with no lubrication, walls can start to rust, and theis will shorten your engine life.

On the fuel, see the nearby thread on stabilizer. If you don't want to mess with a stabilizer, drain the fuel tank, then run the machine until it dies, to use up all the fuel in the carb and fuel lines. Leaving unstabilized fuel in any idle engine for months can result in gummed up carb from breakdown of gasoline.

3. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Chesapeake,

Go to a thread in Commercial Lawn Care forum titled Now or Later????

There is some very good advice for you to follow here.
    We suggest go over machine, tighten any loose bolts, etc. Check blade for sharrpness, balance, check clean replace if necessary air filter, spark plug. Add fuel stabilizer to fuel, run engine for 5 -10 mins, then shut off fuel line until engine is done running. Chang oil (filter too if needed). Some oil in crankcase (new of course) won't hurt either.

4. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

I have never really oiled the plug hole but draining the gas is a good idea. you could not do it and be ok but if the oil gels up you will have to clean the carb out before she will go.