wintertime business

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by grasshawg, Dec 17, 2005.

1. grasshawg

grasshawg LawnSite Member

I got some good advice on another topic, so I'll throw this one at you. Any suggestions on staying busy in the wintertime? I'm thinking brush clearing, and maybe some mulching or aerating. Beyond that, I'm what you might say clueless!
    I haven't actually started yet. Everything's still in the planning stage. I figure I'm gonna have to be ready to rock and roll by March at the latest. But I need to have a few accounts lined up and ready BEFORE I go to the bank. I'm not too worried about not making much to start. I'm going to sell some timber on my property at about 7,000. Put that in the bank to back up the loan and sustain myself till I get kicked off. I'm also quitting my full time job (truck driver) and going part time to earn a little and have time to work on my business.
    So, back to the original question: Is there any way to make money in the wintertime?

2. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

We do some property clean-ups such as leaves, branches and limbs. But what keeps us going non stop is pressure washing. Just started that up a few moths ago and it has taken off.

3. Reliable Lawns

Reliable Lawns LawnSite Member

Aerate in the spring and fall usually, at least where I am at. I don't do much in the winter, some late clean ups is about all, I am conteplating doing more snow removal to bring in more sales during the slow time, but it is nice to relax for a couple of months, because the grass will be greening before we know it. Good luck, I would say advertise and do some truck driving during these times.

4. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Pressure washing is what keeps us up in the slow months.

5. n2h20

n2h20 LawnSite Senior Member

Pressure washing? Do you wash the driveways and sidewalks of your clients?Pw the house? windows?? ELaborate a little please. Sounds fairly easy and im sure people around here could use it.

6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I try to mulch my regular customers during the late winter, Im a solo operator and by the time people start coming outside and wanting to get a new look for spring the grass is in high gear and it is hard to mulch properties and cut at the same time.

7. Full throttle lawn care

Full throttle lawn care LawnSite Member

I fish part time and work part time. It's break time before the heat hits again.:blob1:

8. 29 Palms Property Management

We pressure wash homes, driveways, pool patios, sidewalks and anything that needs washing. The majority of clients we provide this service for are amazed at the difference their property looks upon completion. The hardest part is persuading them to have it done. And that's not even that hard. Take before and after photos of your jobs and set up a photo layout for new prospects to look at. Makes it a great selling point. Alot of pressure washing clients have become long term lawncare clients.

9. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

We do it all it's a great add on service it has double our income.

10. 29 Palms Property Management

Absolutely! There are many times where we bring in more than we do mowing during the peak season. I highly recommend giving it a try. With the right equipment, it's a great thing.