Wiper problem on chevy silverado

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Petr51488, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Hey, my wipers make this wierd noise when i put then on. (they dont work) I checked the fuse.. what else could be the problem?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

The noise you hear may be the motor running, The linkage could have came loose from the motor. Turn them on and touch the motor to see if you can feel it running then turn it off and grab one of the wiper arms and see if you can move it up the windshield if so the linkage is off. Repair as needed.

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

On thoose , the noise is the motor in a bind. If it hasnt done it long, you can shake the wiper arm and it will take off and work, as it gets more advanced you will need to raise the hood and bump the motor. Quickest repair is to Rain x the winshield and go with that

4. Zach76

Zach76 LawnSite Member

What year is the truck? I know that 95s thru 98s had a recall for this very issue. My 95 and my brother's 98 were both fixed free of charge and work wonderfully now.

5. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

true this is a very common problem on these vintage of chevy trucks

6. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I fixed it just as soon as i posted it. I just hit the motor part under the hood and it worked! thanks anyway.. its a 98.. theyll fix it?

7. Zach76

Zach76 LawnSite Member

Yup. Mine, my dad's, my brother's and my father-in-law's were all fixed this spring. Ranged in year from 95-98.

8. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

It doesn't seem like it would be all that hard to make windshield wipers that work in this day and age, but GM can't build a windshield wiper that works to save their soul. Sooner or later, they won't park in the right place. When that happens (no if, when), pull the cover off the motor and clean the contacts. It's happened to our '89, '95, '97, & 2000 vehicles. At least on the newer vehicles, you don't have to remove the wiper motor. You can fix it while still installed on the vehicle.

9. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

My 95' did the ame thing. I bought an upgraded circuit board from the dealer, I think its was $50. Real easy to install .It solved the problem.