1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Wiper seals... replace the seal, or the whole head?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by irrig8r, Jul 6, 2012.

1. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

I used to think it sucked that Rain Bird sold their wiper seals for more than the cost of an 1804, because I'would rarely change more than the seal when they wore out.

In my own yard I looked at a few 1806s with seals that were almost gone. Used to think that with 1806s and 1812s that the wiper seal swap was a good, relatively inexpensive fix.

But then I took a closer look at the pistons and realized that (and in situations with sandy or gravelly soil especially) they were pretty scratched up.

The last couple of seasons I've usually been switching out everything but the case.

Now I just need a helpful suggestion on what to do with all those spare new cases. Art project ideas?
  2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

You've got a REP/Supplier problem. I used to buy wiper seals for the 1800s (by the box) since we dealt with sandy conditions, as well. They were no where near the cost of a 1806/1812. Those wiper seals were damn good, even with scratched risers, which is the fault of the installer and maintenance crew.
  3. Put 1/2" plugs in the bottom and use them to hand water to marathon runners in the next San Fran Marathon. They just toss them on the ground after the quick gulp. Sell them to the petstore for the geckos to build nests in.

I'm sure I could come up with a few more after I have a beer or two.
  4. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

Kiril will hate this answer but....I use them to fill the empty space in my garbage can until I can use them to fill the empty space in the dumpster...
  5. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Another sign the 1804 is now a POS?
  6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I haven't taken apart an 1804 in years. When the modern version of the head came out, there was no wiper seal per se, since it was co-molded onto the cap.
  7. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

About 4 years ago, RB asked me to test a new UV resistant seal on some of my accounts. They have problems or did and know it.
  8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Anybody ever try to replace the wiper seal on a R-50?
  9. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

I just replace the whole thing, why not? The heads are cheap, plus 1800 series are junk.thin walled, seals leak.hunter pro spray is all I replace or install with..
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Crummy install and lack of maintance is all I can figure. I've never added them up, but I'd bet I've installed a thousand 1800 heads with no problems other than a easy change wiperseal. I am not a REP, but I do support products that give the client the bang for their buck.