Wiper seals... replace the seal, or the whole head?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by irrig8r, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Ditto

1800 series was the most consistent head I installed. Only head I liked better was the old 4.5" Hydrorain that took the champion nozzle.

2. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Times change old timer, RB has value engineered these to sell at the big box stores.

Pro-spray is a very nice unit.

3. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

one can sure appreciate that. i feel the hunter does the same for not much more really. but, dif soils and climates do dif things to heads, so it could have as much to do as that. around here, it aint the wiper seal that wears out soley, or whatnot. often, rocks protrude the outer casing as well as screw up the wiper seal.

4. The only problem besides age and sun that affected my 1800 seals were squirrels. For whatever reason they chewed the white ring. I guess to sharpen their teeth.

5. Duekster

from DFW, TX

Like rats on drip, they learn they can get some water.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

do the results of all-PVC drip, with discrete emitters, justify their use in the dry locales where poly drip gets chewed?

7. Duekster

from DFW, TX

In my experiance in line drip is only chewed when not mulched or covered with soil. It is the box covers and flush valves and such that gets it. The discrete emitters located above gound are just as subject to chewing.

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

well, "the book" says cover the emitter tubing with maybe half-a-foot of mulch (yeah, sure)

9. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

it happens eventually lol, with landscapers notoriously mulching over things that should be uncovered!