Wire Gauge for 200-300 ft run

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by hadfield43, Jul 30, 2013.

1. hadfield43

hadfield43 LawnSite Member
    from wyoming

In my other threads one idea is to put a second manifold in the middle of where my lawn is going to go between my circular driveways, this is where the tap comes into the house. I think I could hire a plumber to do this in what it would save in me in other costs, even with the additional backflow cost. Plus it would be a heck of lot less work up front.

This would mean though that i need to run 200+ feet of sprinkler wire.

I am pretty sure I can use 18 gauge wire on the colored wires but might want to go 14 on the return. Here is my question.

Can you purchase a single cable that contains a mix of gauges as described? I need one with 5 colors for the five valves that will go in there. If so can you recommend a place on the web to buy it from?

Thanks

2. hadfield43

from wyoming

I am guessing to do what I am looking for here, I will need to buy one 14-1 wire for the return and another 18-5 wire for the colors?

3. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm guessing by return you mean common, no need for it to be larger unless your are running more than one zone at a time.

4. hadfield43

from wyoming

Yes common, when you say larger, than 18 or 14?

5. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

I saying that if I were doing this I would run an 8 conductor wire out to the box of all the same size. I would also use a larger wire as cost of wire is nominal and this way you could add 2 circuits later. BTW I know very little about irrigation but quite bit about low voltage controls.

6. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

Standard irrigation wire works for those distances. I would run 8 wire also in case a wire goes bad over the years. Also the 8 wire will stretch less being pulled(if your pulling instead of trenching) the distance discribed.