1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Wire Hunting

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by londonrain, Apr 9, 2008.

1. I have been Hunting Faulty wiring today at a site with 111 homes and 40 plus zones. The previous contractor gave up and installed 3 battery operated valves.

A suggestion if you replace solenoids with Battery operated valves, leave the original solenoid connected to the Faulty wiring, so a locator will find the valve....

The four controllers are at the pool house and the faulty wiring/ battery operated valves were on total opposite sides of the property...
    The Wiring has been corrected and the three zones are now back on the controller...

Attached Files:

2. What did you find?
    nicks in the wire?
    Bad splices?

Elaborate por favor...
  3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Way to go! Good suggestion, but if you know where the valve is anyway, couldn't you just hook up a solenoid? Were the wires still in the boxes.
  4. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Someone should have put those 40 valves on a manifold, that way you would have known right where they are:):):)
  5. I found that the original contractor cut one of four 18/13 conductor wires when they did trenching for a lateral line over 9 years ago and bypassed the cut the wires and went another route with new wiring but did not have enough wires so they installed 3 tbos controllers. The tbos's must have quit working and someone replaced the two of Tbos's with Hunters and left one tbos. They spliced a lot of the connection and used different colored wires instead of color matching.
  6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

That would've been cool!! One huge grass areas with 40 10" round boxes, one for each valve, in a nice grid. Or maybe custom build a huge box and lid for all of 'em. J/K

Commercial is another breed.
  7. I did not know where the valves were, they were in 6" VB's buried 3"-4" below grade under mulch and locator passed right past the valves....I used every piece of equipment I have....521, a tone generator, pulser, station master and multimeter plus my remote...
  8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Now I get it. How long did it take you hunt them down?
  9. I have about 6 hrs in the wiring..I am in the process of doing a complete audit on the system and I am hoping of getting this property on a monthly service plan just like my other properties that I manage. This is the direction I am going with my irrigation management plan...
  10. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

i mean they are good for 30-40 years...right jwing?