1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Wire nut grease capsules

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by muddywater, Sep 11, 2011.

1. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

OK.... you're approaching this all wrong if the quality is the issue. Wouldn't you expect to pay a little more for a superior product that won't cause you issues down the road? We're talking $.39 difference between a DBY and a King Blk/Blu connector. Even if you had a job with 100 splices on it you're only talking a $39 difference. Seems like a no brainer to me.

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Don't give up on them, the newer ones have a better sealant and can be re-used.

3. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member

I know but every time I try to up my quality my material price goes up... and it seems I get outbid. I need to win bids every once in a while!!

I went through a kick, where I would only install I-20s.... but people aren't willing to pay the difference. So back to 5000s.

So I am trying to think out of the box a little... where can I get these capsules in large quantities for cheap.

4. SoCalLandscapeMgmt

SoCalLandscapeMgmt LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not so sure that materials are what loose bids. I think it's operational inefficiencies and out of control overhead. At least from my experience. You can always pit vendors against each other and put the project out to quote and save some money of materials that way (If that's how you like to roll, we don't ). Not to make assumptions but look at your operation and how you do things and I bet you can find a couple of things that you can do cheaper.

5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I'd never checked, is there that much difference in the price? They are both premium heads. I like both of them in the stainless versions a lot. :clapping:

6. Nothing works better than Toro screens and the old spears tube of blue glob.

7. muddywater

I would love to have someone come audit my installation techniques, but I really feel like we are as efficient as possible. I think we install as fast or faster than most other local companies.

I am happy with my supplier right now. There service is important to me. But I may need to do a price check, and then get my existing supplier to match whatever I get from competitor. Not a bad idea!

Material cost just keep creeping up and a few dollars makes a difference at the end of the material list. We use just Rainbird ESP modular clocks now... no matter if it is just 2-3 zones. We just like the quality. I use PGA valves, because I like the quality. I use primarily mp rotators for sprays because I feel like I can stretch zones and I have the capability to get out to 30'. I install a rain sensor on every install, because I think it is necessary.

At the end of the parts list, sometime I am thinking damn!

8. muddywater

The price difference for me on a 5000 to a plastic i-20 is about $4. and from plastic 5000 to stainless about $9 more.

I gave up on the pgp, at least with rainbird I have heard of a local contractor getting re-imbursed for labor on warranty replacements. And hell its a dollar cheaper. If your going to use this plastic crap... it might as well be the cheapest.

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I use 3M Scotchlok's (3161R) and DBY/R for commons when necessary ... all wrapped with electrical tape.

10. muddywater

Why the hell can I not find a bucket of these on ebay?