Wire nut grease capsules

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by muddywater, Sep 11, 2011.

1. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member

I posted this in the irrigation forum, but this might be a better fit on this forum.

Anybody got an online hook-up for grease capsules? They have got to be cheap in large quantities some where. Cheapest I can find is .65 a piece.

2. Steve Atkinson

Steve Atkinson LawnSite Member

Are you referring to waterproof wirenuts? Yes, they are pricey but that's what a quality connection is worth.

King Innovation has very good units, but with any wirenut the key is sizing for the number and type of wire conductors. These work well within vaults and boxes, but I would not bury directly in the earth. Needs to have some strain relief.

For direct burial there are better options, such as the Ace Connector or similar heat-shrink sealed units.

3. Alan B

Alan B Sponsor

4. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member

5. LLC RI

LLC RI LawnSite Member

Muddy,

In the past I have gotten the 3M DBR and DBY ( red wire nuts or yellow wire nuts) grease filled tubes in bulk boxes of 100 which came with a box of 100 wirenuts as well. I agree, I'm not a fan of the gel filled nuts like King as they are not rated for a high current and I have actually had splices burn out on me when I used those.

6. Steve Atkinson

Steve Atkinson LawnSite Member