Wire Tracking Main Line

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by reb12, Feb 10, 2008.

1. reb12

reb12 LawnSite Member
    Male, from Florida

My `client has hydraulic valves. Deep and likely under landscape rock. Tried everything to find them but no luck. I know where one of the valves is and he wants me to replace the other three with electric valves. I am going to run wire up/down the main line from the one valve that is exposed and track it with my 521. Any suggestions out there on wire type and ga. to fish? I think his mainline is fairly straight except for 4 corners, but ???? Thanks, Rick

2. mwardy

mwardy LawnSite Member

I have used a steel wire snake works real good.

3. Good luck. I usually try tracking the zone pipe fittings back to their source. Dig up the heads if possible and see how the tees run then try to take an educated guess as to how it may have been installed. I'm not sure how a wire in the mainline gets you close to the valve.

4. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

it wont get you close to the valve unless you hit a dead-end on the mainline.

I tried this the other week and with irrigation fittings its pretty difficult, the wires get snagged alot on the fittings.

do what fimco said, locate the heads and go from there. seems like that would be faster.

5. If you put a diagram up and show as accurate as possible the dimensions, water source, head locations(be sure and designate a zone for each head), the valves you definitely know about, controller location, and whether it is normally open or pin type I'll try and take some educated guesses as to where it might be or at least where I'd start potholing. Freehanding is fine. I put in a lot of Toro hydraulic systems while I was a TAMU student in 77-78. Of course everybody else will chime in as well. Could end up being a game of pin the tail on the donkey.

6. reb12

reb12 LawnSite Member
    Male, from Florida

I was wondering if a normal drain snake would carry the 521 signal???

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I've successfully used a steel fish tape, but in a dry pipe, as the water can ground out a locator signal.

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

OMFG, YOUR SO OLD!!!

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

(at least he knows how to spell you're)

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Consider the e silent and the apostrophe silly, and you have your. Perfectly valid speeling and uses.