Wire Tree Baskets?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bob, Oct 1, 2000.

1. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

When planting a tree , do you leave the wire basket on or take it off? I've asked many landscapers this question and about 1/2 leave it on and the other 1/2 take it off. Personally, I'd remove it.

2. mattingly

mattingly LawnSite Member

Definitely remove it. THere was a post about this earlier.

3. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

I leave thenm on you will do more damage to the root ball taking them off than if you just leave them on.

4. EDL

EDL LawnSite Member
    from MA

The wire basket was made to hold the root ball tightly, leave it on, the roots will grow through the openings.

5. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

When this question was posed to the foremost horticulture extension research person in Virginia, the answer was to take off the top of the basket only, remove the twine from trunk of tree and spread the top of the burlap out from the root ball.

6. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

The September issue of Landscape Management had an article on installations & these comments were made:
    Remove wire & burlap (or at least some of it). Burlap that extends above the planting hole can act like a wick, drawing water away from the root system. Just snip it off and discard it after the plant is in the ground.
    Likewise, the wire basket can also be a bit of a problem, possibly inhibiting lateral root growth. Snip off most of the basket after planting and discard it.

I'm sure we could find another article in one of the trade mags that says leave the basket on. Since 50% of people say to take it off & 50% leave it, I'm going to take the middle road & take some off like this article & Lanelle's source mentioned :).

7. Eric E.

Eric E. LawnSite Member

In the last year or two I read a scientific research paper on this topic. The outcome of the research was that the roots will grow around the wires with little effort and little damage to the vascular system. I still remove the top half of the basket, and as much of the burlap as possible unless the ball is falling apart. Eric

8. John Deere

John Deere LawnSite Member

I want to thank you all for this post. I had this exact question, but once I logged on I saw that this topic was already being discussed and was again, Lanelle you are dead on. You always seem to have a very acurate & helpful answer. So thanks to every one on this topic.

9. John Deere

John Deere LawnSite Member

of course that should be "once" again. I hate that when I make a spelling error. "was again" - I'm an idiot.

10. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

John Deere, You can use the "edit" function on the bottom of your post to correct errors. Believe me, I've used it!

Jwengerd likes this.