1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Wire under driveway

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by AssuredServicesCo, Mar 5, 2006.

1. AssuredServicesCo

AssuredServicesCo LawnSite Member

What's the best way to run wire under the driveway? I will have to run the main line and one lateral line under the driveway in the same trench and want to pull the wire through too. Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

We sleeve under gravel roadways, usually we will run a large enough sleeve (2.5"-4") or two sleeves for the amount of pipe you need to run under it.

I typically trench through the road, lay the sleeves, backfill while compacting (don't want it to sink).

I tape the wire to the pipe and push it through the sleeve all at once. (assuming you are using multiconductor).

3. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Mike,

Is the driveway already there or is it being installed later? If the driveway is already there you'll have to bore under it unless the money is there to saw cut, trench and then patch the drive. Depending on the size of the main line some boring bullets are large enough that you can push the main, lateral and some conduit for the wire at the same time. You can also push the main with wires (even single strand wire) taped to the end of the main to get it through. There are so many possibilities depending on the sizes of the pipe that need to go under the drive.

4. PurpHaze

Single strand can be taped to the end of the main and pushed through also. :)

5. AssuredServicesCo

I'm hoping to use a water jet on the end of a piece of pvc to get across. I think its about 18' across. What do ya'll think?

6. PurpHaze

What sized pipe? I've seen it done successfully with smaller pipe and I won't even begin to explain what "one major contractor that I won't name" has done with large pipe, water and a sledge hammer. :hammerhead:

7. kerdog

kerdog LawnSite Member

Hey Mike-----

You might check with your irrigation supplier, to refer you to someone who does 'boring' for the irrigation guys. Another irrigation co. might do bores for other companys. I've heard the price is in the neighborhood of $10 a foot?

See ya--kerdog

8. AssuredServicesCo

Ive used 3/4" on sidewalks and it goes right under. Ive found there is usually the builders sand under the concrete even in an otherwise clay soil. Ive bid this job pretty low so Ill have to try to get it done on the cheap. Thanks, have ya'll ever tried one of those Borzit thingamabobs.

9. kerdog

kerdog LawnSite Member

Hey Mike-----

It seems I've found everything but sand......

The borzit tool has my interest, but never used one, (or know of anyone who has).
    There is a guy south of Houston, that has come up with a pretty neat tool. Check it out, I think it is sidewalksleever.com

See ya----kerdog

10. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Actually that is pretty cheap for boring. It is closer to $18-$20/ft plus some contractors get a mobilization/set-up charge. We were getting $12/ft nearly 20 yrs ago in San Antonio area back then.

Hell, have the Ditch Witch people come out and demo a trencher with a Roto-Witch on it.