Wireless Rain Sensors

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Rotor-Man, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Rotor-Man

Rotor-Man LawnSite Member

I've always installed the mini-click rain sensor with the wire, would appreciate comments on the Irritrol wireless rain sensor[R & D Engineering product]. Is it good, bad, and most important is it reliable, and what are you guys paying at your supplier for these wireless sensors.
    Thanks

2. aquamtic

aquamtic LawnSite Senior Member

If your happy with Hunter go with their version of wireless. I have found it to be cheaper than the Irritrol model at my supplier

3. MikeK

MikeK LawnSite Member

We have installed over 300 of the R and D, now Irritrol wireless rain sensors. Almoset never do we have a problem. In Some Commercial applications, if it is installed inside the backflow enclosure, the steel box blocks the signal, in Residential, it's almost never a problem. I think we have had a total of 3 warranty claims. Highly recommended, my life is much easier right now by using the wireless verses the wired. 5 minutes to install verses 1.5 hours in some cases. I have no idea what we are buying them for, but whatever it is, it's well worth it.

4. Rotor-Man

Rotor-Man LawnSite Member

Thanks Mike, appreciate your comments.

5. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

ive just started using these things, (Irritrol) only 6 or so out in the field

my god it cuts down on installation time.

the bypass feature is sweet as well

does anyone know about the battery life in the sensor?

6. MikeK

MikeK LawnSite Member

I believe the battery life is 5 years

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I like it a lot. Simple and fast to install. We are going to do some mailings next week trying to push Rain Sensors and that Irritrol one is what we will install.