Wireless valves, Hunter-Nelson

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by prairie, Sep 3, 2002.

1. prairie

prairie LawnSite Member
    from kansas

Has anyone used a battery powered valve? I have a client that has an area that I can't put in electrical. I've seen the Hunter SVC valves and Nelsons Solorain, but I haven't talked with anyone with experiance using these type of valves. I have priced them and there around $75-90 bucks. Expensive, but you don't have to do any wiring. any feedback would be great.

2. gvandora

gvandora LawnSite Member

Rain Bird makes a selinoid for their valves that replaces their usual ones. It runs of a 9 volt controller that you place in the box. You can actually have four zones that run of that one nine volt controller. The only caveat is that you need a hand held unit to configure the controller in the box. The prices are pretty reasonable from what I remember, perhaps $10 or 12 per selinoid and $40 or 50 for the in box controller. The handheld unit runs about $150 - 180. Its called a TBOS. For single valve use their is a product called Easy Rain also by Rain Bird. It is a replacement for their selinoid that only does one individual valve. Here's a link to the Rain Bird website:

http://www.rainbird.com/Commercial.asp?Page=Series&SubCat=11D43D0E-5B72-446B-B5B8-A06D0B069E9B

Good Luck!

3. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

I've used several of the Hunters with good success. Worth it to solve the problem.

4. SamIV

SamIV LawnSite Senior Member

Although I use Hunter almost exclusively, I installed 3 of the Nelson over a year and a half ago with no problems. I haven't even had to change the batteries yet.

I've herad of people having problems pulling the battery connector off when they changed the batteries though.

Nelson has a new digital model out with a long lasting lithium battery which would solve this. Don't know what these cost. I paid about $60.00 each for the Nelson with a Nelson valve.

Sam

5. prairie

prairie LawnSite Member
    from kansas

Thanks guys, I talked with my Hunter rep and I think I'll try the SVC first. Hopefully I'll have the luck that you all have had.

6. Mataman

Mataman LawnSite Member

just thank God you didn't have to buy an IBOC100 for a toro252. $120!!!:dizzy:

7. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest