1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Wiring Electric Hose Reel

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by The Lawn Crew, Dec 8, 2005.

1. The Lawn Crew

The Lawn Crew LawnSite Member

Any instructions for wiring a Hannay (I beleive) 300' Hose reel to a Van. Wire Gauge, fuse rating, etc; the reel is towards the back of the van by the rear doors.

2. steve's total lawn care

steve's total lawn care LawnSite Member

I would use 10 gauge wire and at least a 20 amp fuse buy at least 20 ft of wire. Then run your wire from the battery to the back of the van you may have to go under the van to get the wire to the hose reel use wire ties and drill holes as neccesary run your wire through the holes until you get to the back of the van then hook up the the ground first to the hose reel then go back to the battery and install the fuse holder to the + wire and hook it up to the battery NOTE make shure the fuse is out of the holder before you begin then hook up the - wire to the battery. Then go back to the reel and hook up your + wire now go back to the battery and put in your fuse and should ready to go. STEVE
  3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Lawn crew

When wiring the hose real, First establish the proper Polarity to make the real rewind in the right direction. The DC motor will work in either direction by reversing the polarity.

One polarity is established connect the Negative directly to the motor. The positive should go to a solenoid with is activated by the hose reel momentary button.

Wiring of a solenoid is fairly simple. One side has the motor wire. The Hot side has hot positive from the battery and a wire to the Momentary button. From the momentary button you run a wire back the small screw on the solenoid. This is the activation input from the momentary button.

Most Hose reels use older Ford Starter solenoids that can be purchased at any Auto parts store. Yes they go out and need replace often.
  4. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

I used welding cable with a 30 A. breaker in the engine compartment. The cable runs along the frame and comes up through the front bed stake pocket. Each cable has twist lock welding connectors for easy removal of tank. When not in use the cable is just doubled over and inserted into stake pocket. The female connector is the positive on the supply side so as not to short out. It is simple and non-problematic. Here is a small tip. For faster wind-up, start the truck. More voltage=faster motor.
  5. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

I agree with 1grnlwn, twist lock connectors from the welding world are great for skids. I prefer 6 gauge wire running from a 30 amp breaker mounted under the hood, near the battery. 400 feet of hose out on grass is a load to pull in and that reel will suck your battery down quicker than you can imagine. Start the truck and the wind, just like he said, it will provide a faster run and have less chance of overheating your cable wire and reel motor. You only have to run a power lead to the rear, the ground can be to the body with a short section of the same gauge wire as your lead. As Ric said, get the polarity right, hook up your switch, add juice and you're on your way.
  6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Nothing wrong with a little over kill on the wire size. I rewired mine with 10 Gauge single strand and wish I had gone larger. I want to believe you will get more life out of a motor that has enough juice not to get hot. Replacement Motors can run $ 300 in cost and even more in down time.
  7. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

8. TriCityLawnCareLLC

TriCityLawnCareLLC LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ohio

This is an old thread i know, but figured best to pul this one up rather than start a new one.

I have an 05 sierra. I just bought a 200 gal lesco with 300ft hannay hose reel. I bought a marine deep cell battery for about $100 at O'Reilly's. Hose reel works great! The sprayer is about 12 years old. Anyhow, i've been doing some re-wiring on my trailer to get brakes and lights working (thansk Richard). The trailer used to have a 6 hold round but i've since put a 7 way plug on it to in-order to get rid of the adapter that i was using. Well, my trailer only has 5 wires (Brakes,2 turn-signals, ground, tail-lights)

the 7 way at the rear of the truck has a pin that is 12v.

Well I'm thinking about running 12 gauge from that 7way pin on my truck back to the trailer (there's already a wire it's just not hooked up) and installing a plug. That way when i put my sprayer on the trailer i can just plug it in and i can take the battery back. I plan on just splicing in the two (positive and ground) wires from the sprayer right into the wire harness on my trailer.

I also plan on splicing in a fuse holder and installing a 30amp fuse somewhere between the trailer and rear of the truck. Then just double checking to make sure another 30amp fuse is installed in the engine compartment.

Is there anything wrong with this? If not, do they make two hole plugs?
  9. TriCityLawnCareLLC

TriCityLawnCareLLC LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ohio

OH and just for kicks, i had a dream last night that i was meeting a a property manager for a large insurance headquarters. I was about to land the contract and then he asked me "so what type of gun do you have on your sprayer" i replied "it's a chemlawn type gun" he replied "oh i'm sorry, we can't give you the contract" !! :)
  10. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I would go to napa and ask for a two prong trailer pug and receptacle. They sold me a heavy duty one for my salt spreader last fall. I don't have the part numbers handy but it was all metal cased and what i did was mount it right next to the 7 way RV trailer receptacle at the back of the truck.