Wiring Harness Plugs

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by snnoopy, Jul 30, 2013.

1. snnoopy

snnoopy LawnSite Member

This is a general question for Wiring Harnesses. Has anyone ever tried to buy just the plug instead of buying the entire harness and splicing the new plug to the harness. This is for a Toro 62 inch commercial mower. The plug that supplies power and ground to the clutch got damaged some time back and I used regular crimps to connect the ground and hot back but have been informed that they are not as snug as the plastic plug and therefore caused the hot (male end) to break off inside the clutch. I'm not 100% convinced that is true. Any input would be greatly appreciated. My clutch is a Warner 5218-99. I am replacing the clutch but am trying to avoid having to replace the entire wiring harness as well.

wiring .png

2. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

I have used these on a clutch on an Exmark, any hardware store should have these. For the whole connector, you can try Radio Shack.
    I have gotten connectors there for Western plow controllers.

783250683185lg.jpg

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Pick your color and purchase from any Kohler dealer......

[​IMG]

4. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

If yer patient, and good, you might could use a Dremel or die grinder with a pointed burr and cut away the bakelite enough to expose a bit of terminal. Then solder a pigtail/lead on. Finish up with a blob of epoxy, and yer good to go. I've done it, as have other posters, works well.

Some new clutches come with a short pigtail lead assy, or you might could hunt around and find one.