1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Wiring help for 15 Kohler recoil start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jlawnman, Dec 2, 2008.

1. jlawnman

jlawnman LawnSite Member
    from NC

I have a Snapper Pro 48 ZTR that had a 19 hp Kawasaki.. I did say HAD... the Kaw eng blew up last week. threw a rod and destroyed half of the engine.. I'm replacing with a recoil start 15 hp Kohler. I've had these engines before and I believe it will have plenty of power and torque to run the machine. I need to know how to use the engine's alternator circuit to run the elec clutch on the ztr... I also wish to eliminate the battery out of the original wiring. Any help.. If you have a detailed wiring schematic for a SCAG walkbehind or similar that uses this configuration, please forward it to me : jlawnman@hotmail.com... Thanks..... Jon

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Email sent Jon.....

3. Dr. Godfrey

Dr. Godfrey LawnSite Member

Not a good choice here. Motor will have major power loss issues. Would not install.:cry::hammerhead:

4. jlawnman

jlawnman LawnSite Member
    from NC

I previously had a 48 bobcat hydro w/electric blade clutch... and it pulled my heavy self on a sulky with ease... it had no power issues... I'm going to go with it.. I'm not using it to mow down pastures.. just weekly and biweekly accounts.. jeezz :)

5. LLC Erie

LLC Erie LawnSite Member

RestroRob, may I have that wiring diagram sent to me as well? Mine is from a 17hp battery run to a 15 hp Kawasaki recoil ( both kawasakis) and would like to do the same pretty much as Jlawnman did. Thanks!!! It is going on a 48 inch Scag hydro if that helps. email is avargo314@verizon.net

6. jlawnman

jlawnman LawnSite Member
    from NC

the 15 kohler is working wonders.. had to take off one of the factor fuel tanks tho.. cause the kawa had a fuel pump and had snorkel tanks.. the kohler is gravity fed. I used an old tank off an old great dane supersurfer that retired years ago... also.. and you guys will love this.. the other tank... i hooked an inline electic fuel pump that pumps up about 17 psi... linked on a 5 foot sprayer hose.. perfect for spraying roundup around bed edges and fence lines.. while you mow!.. .. the engine is a little weak tho for that size machine.. but for regular weekly mowing, it's great.. and super fuel efficient..