Wiring help for 15 Kohler recoil start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jlawnman, Dec 2, 2008.

1. jlawnman

jlawnman LawnSite Member
    from NC

I have a Snapper Pro 48 ZTR that had a 19 hp Kawasaki.. I did say HAD... the Kaw eng blew up last week. threw a rod and destroyed half of the engine.. I'm replacing with a recoil start 15 hp Kohler. I've had these engines before and I believe it will have plenty of power and torque to run the machine. I need to know how to use the engine's alternator circuit to run the elec clutch on the ztr... I also wish to eliminate the battery out of the original wiring. Any help.. If you have a detailed wiring schematic for a SCAG walkbehind or similar that uses this configuration, please forward it to me : jlawnman@hotmail.com... Thanks..... Jon

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Email sent Jon.....

3. Dr. Godfrey

Dr. Godfrey LawnSite Member

Not a good choice here. Motor will have major power loss issues. Would not install.:cry::hammerhead:

4. jlawnman

jlawnman LawnSite Member
    from NC

I previously had a 48 bobcat hydro w/electric blade clutch... and it pulled my heavy self on a sulky with ease... it had no power issues... I'm going to go with it.. I'm not using it to mow down pastures.. just weekly and biweekly accounts.. jeezz :)

5. LLC Erie

LLC Erie LawnSite Member

RestroRob, may I have that wiring diagram sent to me as well? Mine is from a 17hp battery run to a 15 hp Kawasaki recoil ( both kawasakis) and would like to do the same pretty much as Jlawnman did. Thanks!!! It is going on a 48 inch Scag hydro if that helps. email is avargo314@verizon.net

6. jlawnman

jlawnman LawnSite Member
    from NC

the 15 kohler is working wonders.. had to take off one of the factor fuel tanks tho.. cause the kawa had a fuel pump and had snorkel tanks.. the kohler is gravity fed. I used an old tank off an old great dane supersurfer that retired years ago... also.. and you guys will love this.. the other tank... i hooked an inline electic fuel pump that pumps up about 17 psi... linked on a 5 foot sprayer hose.. perfect for spraying roundup around bed edges and fence lines.. while you mow!.. .. the engine is a little weak tho for that size machine.. but for regular weekly mowing, it's great.. and super fuel efficient..