Wiring help please.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by swbhog, Jul 14, 2007.

1. swbhog

swbhog LawnSite Member

I usually let the electricians do the wiring but they are delayed so before I fry the pump a little help please.The pump is a 3h.p sta-rite dhh 230. The electricians finished all except the hookup to the pump.There are 3-wires coming in,red,black,green.The pump has 6 wires and a green ground stud.Is it as easy as hooking up the three to same three colors in the pump and wire nut the rest for future uses.Thanks for the help.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Go to your refrigerator, and get three or four ice cubes, and place them in a large highball glass. Add a jigger or so of gin, and then fill with tonic water. Stir once, and sit down and watch a ball game, and drink your drink, until your dangerous thoughts go away. Repeat as necessary, until the electrician arrives.

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

[​IMG]

This may help.

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I may do that, and I'm not even expecting an electrician.

5. swbhog

swbhog LawnSite Member

Thanks dirty water that helps.What are the other four wires for that are in with the main power wires.Possibly for wiring to a pressure switch or tank?

6. Reread post number 2. Best advice you will get in a looooong time. At least with 220 the shock is so powerful that you will get blown off the wire which may allow you to start another thread someday.

7. Wet_Boots

Why not wait for the electrician? You got extra pumps around, in case you destroy this one? Understand that 230 volt wiring is an arena where a homeowner can become a statistic. There is just about no other voltage more dangerous to human life. No one who asks the sort of questions the OP does is qualified to deal with 230 volt pump wiring.

8. swbhog

swbhog LawnSite Member

First of all I,m not stupid I do understand electricity somewhat but the schematic that was given was inadequate.There are these things called breakers that I make sure are in the off position.Also there is a switch by the pump that breaks the circuit.Then I put my meter on it and confirm that the other two things I did are truly working.I grew up doing A/c work with my dad so I'm not totally ignorant about electrical work just not totally sure of these extra wires on this pump. Thanks for the advice both ways I understand the danger and have no fear of being electrocuted with my safeguards in place.

9. Wet_Boots

Reason enough to leave it alone. You can't win. If you were totally sure, you wouldn't be posting here. You aren't totally sure, so you should be waiting for the pros. We aren't totally sure you aren't color-blind. If the guys who sold you the pump can't help, wait for the electrician.
    [​IMG]

10. swbhog

swbhog LawnSite Member

Wet boots just look through this sight at how many unsure people there are on here about various subjects.I thought we were here to discuss and assist each other but maybe I was wrong. !6 years in the business and I'm still learning just not from certain people.Thanks for your help.