wiring help

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by steve9410, May 4, 2007.

1. steve9410

steve9410 LawnSite Member

I am replacing a Kawasaki FH680V-ASo5 23HP engine with a Kohler CV730s 25HP and am trying to figure out the wiring. The mower has a selenoid attached on the chasis similar to a Ford. But the Kaw I took out had a different style starter witout the selenoid attached. The new motor has a selenoid mounted on the starter. Do I still need the chasis mounted selenoid? Also there are 2 wires out of several on the connector coming out of the new Kohler, orange and red, they are together into the same port on the connector. What is there purpose? Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

2. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I can answer that you wont need the second solenoid. Sorry I cant answer anymore..

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Hmmm, No orange wire listed. Not sure about that one, It may be best to trace them back and see where they go.

[​IMG]

4. steve9410

Thanks alot for the help. I can just connect the 2 small wires that went to the chassis mounted selenoid together then, right. I'll have to take the new motor apart to trace the wires. Thanks for the schematic, but it must be for an older motor. I have the Kohler Command 25hp with a 2 row electric connector.

5. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

Could your Orange wire actually be Yellow?
    Yellow is used for headlights (70W)

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

DO NOT hook these two wires together, One is the safety switch ground side and the other is the positive feed wire for start position on the ignition switch. Doing so could fry the whole harness and possibly switches when turning the key to the start position.

Disconnect both wires and with a multimeter or test light check each for power when the key is in start position. Which ever one that has power extend it to reach the small male spade on the new starter solenoid, Tape the other and leave.

This is the only other wire diagram I can locate, Again no orange wire. Without seeing the engine in question I'm a little lost.

[​IMG]

7. steve9410

I did like you suggested and traced the wires back. Had to cut the rubber off the harness all the way back as more wires were coming out than going into the harness. My surprise was the orange wire that I questioned was a jumper connnecting the one red wire with the violet one in the connector. On the motor the red goes to the carb and the violet goes to what I think is a rectifier. Then in the harness the red is split into 2 wires with a resistor on each one. On the connector ports, the wires go in as follows. Red&orange, then Violet&orange, then white, then red&blue, then green which is for an oil sensor which is not used. I know the re&blue go to the wire coming from the front I labeled carb, and the white goes to the white coming from the front for the kill on the coils. I have a yellow that goes to the old selonoid witch I assume is the safety that won't be used. What I have left is the one violet coming from the front, and the extra wire on the old selonoid which I assume comes from the switch. Can I just tape this off as in the new connector I would hook the red&blue to the red I labeled carb. Do I take the one violet and connect to the orange/red and orange/violet?
    I hope you can understand all this. I'm confused about this split wire with resistors.

thanks

8. Bill Kapaun

9. steve9410

Yep, I did download the service manual. The only problem is my keyswitch is different. I don't have a wire coming back from the keyswitch that is only live when the key is in the on position. I need this I assume for the carburator controller. This can't be live all the time right?

THanks

10. Bill Kapaun

A schematic of the Kaw & the machine (whatever it is) would sure be handy!:)

"On the motor the red goes to the carb and the violet goes to what I think is a rectifier."
    Is the violet (regulator center tap) wire switched with the ignition, or always live?
    How about one of the wires going to the old solenoid?

What machine is this on? Maybe there's a schematic floating around in cyber space?