1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Wiring Issues please advise

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by landscaper9929, Jul 29, 2008.

1. landscaper9929

landscaper9929 LawnSite Member

Guys I posted a while back about this issue and I have just about got it worked out but I have a question. The system in question has had some work done on it in the past, not sure why but I assume wiring issues due to the fact that there has been new wire run. They went from a 12 strand to single strand, with the exception being at the sleeve where the left the 12 strand and spliced into it on both sides. I dug up the splice on both sides of the sleeve so I can put them in a valve box, and to use them to locate the valves with. There are 2 of the old 12 strands that when I hook the 521 to it I get voltage on three of the other wires. The same three both times, & the common. Why is this happening? I have since bi-passed these 2 wires and am going to use 2 of the 4 that were left and not being used in the 12 strand. When I did this I only got voltage to the wire I was hooked to. So like I said why would I get power to wires I'm not connected to?

2. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

have you put a multi meter to it yet?

is it possible you have another splice you aren't seeing?..
    run a wire above ground and see if that can help anything....