1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Wiring methods

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Rainman7, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Rainman7

Rainman7 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Since I started lighting I have only been using Unique fixtures and the hub method. I have an application that I will be using a different fixture(http://progresslighting.com/products.aspx?product=P5200-20) that only comes w/6' of wire.

I will be installing 17 fixtures in a row(not sure of the spacing 8'?) and the first fixture is about 10' from the xfmr. The bulbs are 18W. What would be the best wiring method and how do you figure it out for future ref.?

Also, anyone familiar with this fixture and the light spread?

Thanks

2. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

Thats a cool looking fixture!!

You can do a T-Method here without to many issues to overcome. Not all 17 on one line but maybe 6 - 6 - 5

You could always splice on your own wire leads and still wire up a hub as well.

3. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

is this going on a wall or a flat walkway surface?

If it is in a wall I would prewire it in a T like Joey said. 12 ga 6 6 and 5 and with your 8 ft spacing you should have less than .5 diff between your fixtures.

The exact details about how I would wire it would depend on the site conditions. dont even think about a chain or a loop tho.

4. Rainman7

from NY

The lights are going along the edge of a 5' deck that runs along a bulkhead.
    There are no pilings or rails to mount anything on so I am hoping these will work out. I like the looks but I hope the quality is there.

Also, for the splices, what is recomended. I heard the Nightscaping Ace connectors are great for underground.

Joey-will this fixture be in the Unique lineup for next year? I come across the need for a fixtue like this quite often.

Thanks.

5. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

I love that light and I would be thrilled if we had a walkway light like this! I will pass a long to the design team....

6. Pro-Scapes

I was never crazy about anything that could be a trip hazzard.

Ace connectors work really well. That reminds me I am going to need to get some more soon. Good luck finding them. Took me 2 mo to get my last shipment of quarter aces. Glad I can get an ace type connector readily anytime now without having to deal with the terrible NS dist.

7. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

The 1/4 ACE has been unavailable for some time but as I understand it, the components are now in stock and they are available to ship again.

The standard ACE has been readily available with no issues.

If you are looking for a really good method for connections that is just as secure and much faster to install, check out www.lightingshrink.com They make several sizes for almost any LV application.

Regards.

8. Rainman7

from NY

Well, I ordered 20 of those fixtures last week, I needed 17, they had 21 in stock. Called today to find out status of the order and one shipped today....the others should be shipping out the 3rd week of Oct.:confused:. Problem with their count....ya think.

Anyway, keeping the one to see what it looks like and cancelled the others. Cust. will not wait. Anyone have any similar fixtures they would recommend?

9. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Take a look at the Turtle by Nightscaping.

10. Pro-Scapes

drill out the deck and use something like this maybe ? http://www.hunza.co.nz/productsContemporary/productContPathLite.php

If you change from Progress to hunza your client is going to freak over the price.

SPJ used to make a similar fixture but I cant locate it on the website. I have 1 or 2 here but not enough to do your job.

Pictures sure would help alot.