Wiring Mini-Click rain sensors to the common?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by CAPT Stream Rotar, Jul 20, 2007.

1. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

Can anyone explain how this works to me?

Today I re-installed a new controller into a garage from the basment.In the new rainbird controller..

I re-wired the rainsensor to the wires cause there was spare...Everything worked fine and dandy..

Tomorrow I have to wire a rains ensor into a the common...

Just wondering if anyone could help me a lil with this one.

CSR

2. Just break the common and have it run through the sensor. In other words imagine the beautiful happy common wire. All powerful. Goes to every valve. Suddenly you force it to travel through the rain sensor before it gets to the first valve. You have subjected that common to the whims of absorption wafers.

3. PROFESSORRAIN

PROFESSORRAIN LawnSite Member

better yet imagine the mini-clik has an in-out- kinda like a flow > put inline on common!Doesn't matter which wire you start with!don't make it rocket science, have fun.

4. CAPT Stream Rotar

Bingo..

Thanks I can understand this....Makes perfect sense..

when the RS trips and the valve power wants to turn valve 1 on the common says no sir..It just rained..better hold off till it dries out...

5. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

You dont need to wire this to the common!!

Use the sensor port provided with that new rainbird controller. That way you can utilitize the bypass switch on the controller.

will

6. The problem with CSR's posts is that the are half poetry half cryptic code. My reading of his post was this was two separate timers. The first he wired as you suggested. The second clock was older and had no sensor port.

7. CAPT Stream Rotar

RIGHT he is again..

frist LXI=RS ports..

second timer=unknown clock most likely a vision.....

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Toro Vision controllers are more of a pain, in terms of directly connecting to a rain sensor, and having the controller 'know' what's going on. They may need a normally-open rain detector (which is why the rain sensor has three wires)

9. Better yet..use a wireless mini clik....

10. Replace the Vision