1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

wiring problem Truck/trailor

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Turfcutters Plus, Feb 2, 2006.

1. Turfcutters Plus

Turfcutters Plus LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 96 gmc with trailor hooked up.All lights work except when i turn headlights on,there is no trailor lights in back of trailor.Also,no longer do headlights on truck come on by themselves(Safety feature)during day in normal operation.My other truck with same trailor works fine.I've narrowed it down to 96 gmc problem.What do i do to fix it?:confused:

2. Turfcutters Plus

Also,brake lights and turn signal lights work fine on back of trailor.It's when i turn headlights on,it kills tail lights.

3. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

With the trailer unpluged does the truck lights work as they did before you rewired for the trailer? See if you can get our hand on a copy of The Pocket Ref 3rd Edition (ISBN 1-885071-33-7).
    I tried to scan a few pages for you to see but they did not come out readable.
    On pages 42,43,44,45 you will find the standard trailer wiring data.

4. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have one of those slide in trailer recepticle harnesses that comes pre assembled? They go bad occasionally. Try omitting that harness by connecting the one side of the rear lights to the other. If everything works, you got a bad harness.

5. Turfcutters Plus

Thanks guys.I fixed it.Corroded wire that was spliced together.:rolleyes: