wiring problems

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by londonrain, Jul 7, 2007.

1. yet another bad wire repair...
    This was on the 80+ zone system I have been working on...

Problem was that Zone #13 would work, then it would not work showing open on my station master. I traced this wire today and found 3 bad wires today with the ground fault locator. The 521 passed right over the splices.....

I did not have my camera today so I just cutout the bad wires, two electrical taped together and one had the sheathing cut.

What was happening was the wire would get wet inside the electrical tape and not allow the current to continue, then it would dry out and start working again. Once cutout and repaired with water proof connections the zone worked properly.

This is why you should never use electrical tape for a connection....

tape1.jpg

tape2.jpg

2. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

I know this is a little off topic..

But this past winter we had a similar problem...When we were doing turn-ons in the spring it was still very cold..A wire that was Nutted/taped had water frozen inside....causing 3 zones @ a time to activate....It was a ball buster to try to figure out that trouble shoot..but alas....

How old is this particular system?

3. This system is 3 year olds with two 40+ zone controllers that run about 50 homes and common area and about 15 houses with their own controllers with 3 zones each and 4 homes under construction that will have about 3 zones each also, so total zones that I am maintaining be around 140 zones for 69 homes.

4. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Speaking of waterproofing connections, I can't remember where I read it but it was said that it is critical to waterproof the solenoid wiring connections because moisture can travel between the wire and the insulation covering into the solenoid and cause it to fail.

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

(that must be why all those Irritrol ASV solenoids were failing on me)

6. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

They seem to use the same solenoids as their commercial brothers so I guess it must be the splice. :)