Wiring the hub

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by mikecox1, Apr 9, 2009.

1. mikecox1

mikecox1 LawnSite Member

If I was going to have five or six 10/2 lines coming off my home run at a hub, what would be the best method to make that connection? Do I use a series of wire nuts? Is there some product for this application like some sort of distribution block? Should I solder it and apply some form of weatherproofing to it? I want to do this right.

2. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Seriously? Or do you mean you are going to have a 10/2 or 8/2 Home run that feeds 5 or 6 12/2 runs to the fixtures?

In any case, the ACE Connector from Nightscaping is the best of the best. It comes in standard and LARGE (Big ACE) sizes.

Regards.

3. mikecox1

mikecox1 LawnSite Member

First of all, thanks for the Ace Connector suggestion, I will hunt some down. As far as the use of 10/2 goes, do you ask if I am serious because my proposed setup would be overbuilt or is there a problem with it that I am not aware of? I can live with with overbuilding my witing. I am using 10/2 for the entire wire run because I have 500 feet of it and might as well use it up rather that spending more money on lighter gauge wire and have a bunch of 10/2 left over. On the other hand, if there are issues with my plan I certainly want to know about it.

4. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

10/2 for a fixture wire lead is a bit overkill but wont hurt you at all. You will just need to be able to make up a LARGE connection. ACE connector will work or possibly a large Buchanan Crimp. Worst case scenario and not one I recommend would be a large blue wire nut, filled with di electric grease. Much better off using the ACE or Buchanan.

5. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

The large aces will join about 6 10 ga wires I think. The standards will do for about 4 12 ga wires or other combos.

The quarter aces im fond of work well for 12ga to fixture connections.

6. mikecox1

mikecox1 LawnSite Member

Do any of you guys know where I can I can buy the large Ace connetors on-line or locally in the Dallas or Fort Wort areas? My web searches aren't turning up anything.

7. ccfree

ccfree LawnSite Member

Hey Mike,

Check out your local Ewing Irrigation Products branch in the DFW area. They have 9 locations.

8. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't use the blue wire nuts. But they are expensive & messy to use.

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

10. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

If you are a contractor then Call Nightscaping and they will find your distributor for you: 1-800-544-4840

If you are a DIY'er then you will have to contact a local contractor who would be willing to sell to you or find them retail online.
    Online you can check out Terradek, or CLL (California Landscape Lighting). Im not sure if FOLD carries them or not.

Regards.