1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Wiring trailer for brakes

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by usernamehere, Mar 23, 2014.

1. usernamehere

usernamehere LawnSite Member

Bought a used trailer that was originally from Tractor Supply co.

Its a 5x10. It has these tube welded so that you can feed the wires through it to go to the back of the brakes.

I cant get the wires to go through the tubes. Tried coat hangers and a long piece of rebar that i cut on the end to look like a drill and tried to drill through it and also tried hitting in through.

It seems to get stuck about 2 feet in and wont go anyfurther, just like its hitting metal or something.

Any ideas?

2. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

Why would you want brakes on a 5x10? What are you towing it with?

The easiest way to run new wires is to use the old ones to pull new ones through. Otherwise try a small dowel if you need to feed them through a straight tube.

3. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Bronze Member

Or just zip tie the new wiring to the axle tube I do it all the time on all our trailers and not to much issues
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. looperlawn

looperlawn LawnSite Member

I still can't get the reason for brakes on a 5x10. We have pulled a 5x8 enclosed haul with a Toyota Carolla from Florida to Tennessee from a family estate sale it was loaded and no problems.

5. usernamehere

usernamehere LawnSite Member

Sorry for the confusion, I meant the brake lights. not actual brakes.

Still cant get the wires through the tubes, guess i'm probably gonna have to cut it off, because its like the wires are attached inside the tubes somehow. They dont just slide out, no matter how hard I pull on the old wire they just break and wont move.

6. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Just zip tie it and be done with it That be the simple thing to do

Or if you can weld
    Weld new tubes next to the old tube