Wirless internet card-2 computers??

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by deere615, Dec 31, 2007.

1. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

Can anyone help me? We(my family) Have a verizon wireless internet card for our labtop. I recently got my own labtop! I have the program on my computer and can connect to the internet when I plug the card in. But is there anyway to get both computers online with the card? I tried linking the 2 computers together with a cat5 cable, but it wouldn't work. Would it work with a router and the cat5 cable? Or is there another way to do this??

2. SimonCX

SimonCX LawnSite Senior Member

If both computers are wireless you can just use the laptop as the router no need for the cable. Do a google search for "Ad hoc wireless networks" it's pretty simple.

3. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

If the computers are running windows XP, just enable Internet Connection Sharing on the computer with the wireless card. Then use an ehternet cable to connect the two laptops.
    See here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126

4. Doug1966

Doug1966 LawnSite Member

do you have a wireless router? If you don't have a wireless router, your computers will have nothing to connect to.

5. SimonCX

SimonCX LawnSite Senior Member

You can use one computer setup like a router, just because he doesn't have a router doesn't mean he can't use them. Look up "Ad hoc wireless networks" add you will see how it works.

6. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the help so far:waving:. I will have to try those 2 things