Wirring Issues please advise

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by landscaper9929, Jul 11, 2008.

1. landscaper9929

landscaper9929 LawnSite Member

Guys I could use a little help with this. Let me give you a little background on the situation. The system is about 15 years old with toro valves and an RB RC clock. When I run the system I have a zone that runs constantly. I figure bad valve. I 521 and locate the 1st manifold (3 valves) zones 1,2,&3 here is where it all goes to crap. 12 strand to the 1st manifold then for some reason spliced into single strand exiting the box. I disconnect the splice and start to 521 each hot. I locate the MV and 1 more valve. The last valve I locate (using 521) is across the driveway. I continue locating as I know there should be 5 more valves. I follow the signal, it turns and runs parallel to the right drive however I loose tone and null and start getting a ton of feedback. This happens no matter which hot I'm hooked to. Now I'm still learning the 521 so not sure why I'm loosing tone. Now not being familiar with toro valves generally RB around here.I have a question. If I run zone 2 and turn down the Flow Control zone 1 starts up. I did this to the MV & sprays near by the valve popped up (rb1812s) and all the way even though the zone that wont shut down is on. Now I know by closing the flow Im in essence forcing the water towards the other valves however if there closed no water should get past the valve. So is it possible that most if not all of the valves are bad. If so fine I will replace, however I need to locate the others. Using a fault locater I locate a fault near the drive, excavate and find a mess. Looks as though whoever made the changes and spliced into the 12 strand did it at the sleeve too. I did not however find the fault. I cut out the splice and reconnected it (weird connectors looked like conduit pic below) and will be putting it in a valve box Mon. As I was reconnecting it the heavens opened so I had to leave but before I did notice the wires were all scorched (power surge?) Didn't have time to check for voltage. So now what I want to know is if the wire is bad how will I 521 the rest of the valves. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

wire mess in 1st manifold.jpg

splice @ sleeve.jpg

wire mess in 1st manifold.jpg

splice @ sleeve.jpg

2. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

::backs out of thread::

::slowly::

hey, if i didn't have a date with a hottie id try to help...ttyl

3. landscaper9929

landscaper9929 LawnSite Member

Thanks rotor, I got a date too, maybe you can help later how about it hehe

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

There is a time to start over: you might be close after looking at the wiring.

5. My M.O. is if it worked at one time, I can get it back working...... Start with the valves you know are not work correctly and fix them and move on to the next problem...

6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Wanna ride the golf cart up here with the 521 & help me? What was that film
    of the the guy & his riding mower on the road?

7. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

I think it was George Jones, the country singer. They took away his license, so he drove his mower to the liquor store:drinkup:

8. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

slingblade?

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

The Straight Story - I miss Richard Farnsworth.

10. AmEdge

AmEdge LawnSite Member

MMmmmmmm.....what a lovely mess.

First impression would be a bad solenoid. Did you try replacing the solenoid for the valve that will not shut off?

Perhaps open the valve to see if there is some debris trapped?

As far as the rest of that mess, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.