wisconsin engine not running

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by matth, Jan 25, 2004.

1. matth

matth LawnSite Member

i have an older wisconsine engine that ran fine for years but this summer when i went to start it it wouldnt go.

it is a wisconsine 8 horse, it has spark, and compression
    i was thinking it might need a carb rebuild, but before i do anything to it a want a professional opinion

thank you for all help

2. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Most likely fuel system problem. First I would crank several times then remove spark plug and check if wet. If yes, spray starter fluid in carb while tring to start and see if it even tries to run. If no, pull fuel hose off at carb and see if fuel is getting to carb. If yes then carb is likely gummed up and will require dissasembly and cleaning followed by blow out with compressed air. Do a search here as this has been discussed in depth before. Let us know the outcome. Good luck

3. eddies

eddies LawnSite Member

you must check fire with a spark tester .just because the plug sparks out of head doesnt mean it gettin proper spark. do not use a champion plug. also check points. they can give a false impression of carb problems, although if engine hasnt run for awhile it could be a carb problem. i always use marvels mystry oil in fuel on wisconsons, it seems to help a bunch.

4. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

What's it mounted to? Is it a horizontal/side shaft I assume? I have one, 8hp I beleive, horizontal shaft thats just sitting let me know if you want it. starts & runs good.

5. matth

matth LawnSite Member

I took the air filter off of the engine, when the choke valve is shut it runs but if i take my hand and cover where the air is let into the engine the motor starts to run really well so im pretty sure it it a carbeurator problem

Frankenscagmachines: thanks for the offer can you tell me how much you want and what the shipping and handling is the engine is mounted on an old tractor and is horizontal

Thank youfor all the replies