Wisconsin guys; How's biz? Pricing and related. I might move back home.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by sedge, Jun 13, 2008.

1. sedge

sedge LawnSite Fanatic

Hey guys,

I am originally from Wisconsin, Chippewa falls area. We are thinking of making the move back home and starting a squirt n fert. Yes I know the economy blows, but I think peeps are still doing ferting and weed control, at least they are here. Some of the mowing is down, but not the weed control services. My mom is nearly 70 and I am thinking I should be closer to home, not further away. My wife can land a good job, as her profession is in very high demand, so I will not be asked to pull all the weight. She told me she has no problem with me starting this, if I think it will work and she brings home the bacon in the mean while.

I was wondering a few things if you all don't mind.

1. How you guys are doing this year?

2. Any one start new this year?

3. How many years in the biz?

4. Whats your going rate in your area (approximately if you don't mind)

5. Typical number of apps per year
  2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Most of the lower half is out of business for a while because of the rain. I am in the GB area and have been in business since 95. mowing as well as apps. I am a small biz and have noticed some minor reduction in business because of the economy but have made up some of the difference with price increases that have been accepted by all who remained.
    Going rate here is a funny thing, some of the larger fert and squirt buys are finding out that 1.00 per 1000 sq ft wasn't putting diesel in the big rig so they have adjusted by increasing prices a bit but also offering "green" programs like spot spraying instead of blanket spraying.
    I am in a bit of a niche market so I am not the best guy to be telling you if you will succeed or not. I have no idea of the conditions in Chippewa Falls. I believe the GB area is still doing pretty well as far as the economy goes. Gas prices suck everywhere but we have lots of people still working and very few foreclosures as compared to the rest of the country.
    If you have family ties here, you have a good start. Business takes a bit to get going as anything but I wouldn't hesitate to try especially if you have your wife to cushion the start up period.
    Heres the PAT site in case you want to start reading... good luck.

3. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

I am from the Fond du Lac area. Started part time a little over 4 years ago and now am full time. I am primarily a Fert & Squirt guy with a new ride one but have about 1.5 to 2 days of mowing a week. I am around 175 customers and looking to be at between 200 & 300 for the application side. My minimum price is $45.00 and at around an acre I am about $165.00. That is for both fertilization and weed control and based on 3 applications a year. I have 3, 4 & 5 step programs. You could probably make it but it will take a while. Get educated and licensed, use a very good product, do quality work & for crying out loud return phone calls. Chippewa Falls is not as densely populated as where I am so I am not sure about the amount of driving you may have to do. They sure do brew good beer though.
  4. sedge

sedge LawnSite Fanatic

Thanx guys, any one else?
  5. superchad

superchad LawnSite Member

I lost a few this year to economy but have gained some too. My old boss use to say" there are hundreds of lawn care company but there's always room for one more good one. The area you are going into will be a little tough but once your in your in. I go up there riding and fishing and have always wondered about the area but got my hands full in Mad-town. Good Luck.
  6. sedge

sedge LawnSite Fanatic

I come from an Ag background and I am working for my brothers company here as the lead spray tech. Actually know more then my brother :laugh:, just switching from warm season turfs to cool season turf......

As far as beer goes, well..... drink up ...... :)
  7. sedge

sedge LawnSite Fanatic

any more wisconsin guys?
  8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

9. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

im new at it but the company i used to work for that was huge in mowing, landscaping, spraying ... pulling in multiple mil, just sold all parts of the biz but spray/fert, so it cant be a bad year.

prices range from $45-$75 for a 8 thousand sqr foot yard for fert/squirt.
    more expensive places get more work hahahaha probably because they use quality product.

im right smack between milwuakee and chicago tho