Wisconsin Pesticide Applicator Exam

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by ryan41, Feb 19, 2012.

1. ryan41

ryan41 LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking at taking the exam to get certified to use chemicals/fertilizers in Wisconsin. Some of the commercial accounts i am bidding on require spraying. Just had a few questions about this?

1. Can i take it online?
    2. How long does the training take?
    3. How much does it cost total?
    4. Do you actually learn anything?

Thanks,
    Ryan

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

You will learn about 'calibration', nozzle settings, droplet size, AI%, @ $80.00... but not much else...
    The function and method of operation, of the herbicide, doesn't seem to be a part of it.

They can send you a tape/dvd of seminar lectures and a book. We had to travel to a larger city for the TEST itself.

Niether the licensing people, the extension offices, nor the horticultural colleges will teach discernment of the actual herbicides involved with your program... You are left to the mercy of the Drug Companies and their Salesmen for any and all information they are will to impart... Unless , of course, you are willing to research it yourself...

3. ryan41

I just looked it up. I have to travel to Madison to take the test. I was told i am able to buy a video that goes over everything so all i have to do is show up and take the test.
    Is the test difficult?

4. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

No, if you read the book and know how to search for information on a label. Speaking of that I have to recertify this year.

5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

How chemicals actually accomplish the job is the critical bit of information that creates a professional. Following directions on the label ensures the most amount of product used for least amount of result.
    Why do you think there are split apps for pre-m now days? Why is it always mixed with the NPK for HOs.?

People should have an understanding of what they are dealing with, but the licensing system doesn't teach you anything except "Read the Label".

Run your business as though you are a very astute HO... :)

6. ryan41

Do you take the test up in Madison Swampy?

7. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

No Waukesha County Court house, but that was years ago.

8. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

Here in Mn, I have to buy 3 books. I can't remember how much they cost but it was a lot of reading. I don't think you can take it online. I learn alot, and I did not have to pay to take the test. Make sure you read the books good, cuz you only get 3 chances to take the test.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. scotts lawn care

scotts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

The test is only hard if you dont read and study the manual. Take your time and try to learn as much as possible, it will pay off in the end.

10. boyd93

boyd93 LawnSite Member

There are several locations to take the test. I went to UW Extension. I signed up, am taking a class, and take the exam after the class here in waukesha. There were many places through out state to take the test. I'm going end of March. It seems pretty general, reading, understanding labels, safety, etc....