wish i had my camera

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by GrassFearsMe, Jul 23, 2004.

1. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

My uncle who has owned and operated skid steers for 20 years or so nearly rolled his machine over. If you can picture this he is laying on the screened side of the rops unable to move because his weight balanced out the machine so it wouldn't roll all the way over.

Used our other skidsteer to prop machine up and dig him out, but it was quite funny. He was so embarresed, but okay. Any of you guys ever roll your machines?
  2. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

I've seen it happen. Once.

Number 10 green at the Purdue North golf course, now the Kampen Course. This was in '97, the year the course was completely renovated.

Had a guy bring us some soil so we could put it around the edges of the green, he drove straight up the hill with the load, dumped it, and started backing down the hill. With the bucket 3' or so in the air.....

I watched the whole thing, he apparently felt it going over backwards and tried to save it using the skid controls, but didn't drop the bucket. He ended up going over on the back, then tipping over onto one side.

Can't say as I've ever rolled one, but I've been in some tight spots before. And had some stuck pretty good too.:)

3. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Had a mulch pile I was operating on at a buddy's shop. The pile slid out from under me while stock piling the mulch. I thought I was going to flip over. Scare me and my buddy. He was scared because it was a brand new bobcat and I was only 14 at the time. I wasn't suppose to be operating them at the age legally.

I have had my tractor up on 2 wheels on one side while on a hill with the bucket lifted. Lucky me the roll bar hit a tree, so I didn't go over. Dumping and lowering the bucket, got me a back on 4 wheels and off the tree. That was very scary.
  4. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

me too:eek:

Hope to never roll one.

Keep that bucket low! I had my teeth jarred pretty bad this spring spreading crushed stone. Going like a raped aped trying to beat dark, and had the bucket to high, going down a slight incline too fast. Just getting ready to dump, when back started to come up. Dropped the load quick and bounced around the cab for a few minutes;)
  5. two_planks

two_planks LawnSite Member

When I worked for my uncle we where building up a hill around a house. He pulled right on to the edge to dump his load and the hill gave out underneath him. he tried to lower the bucket but spun at the same time and ended up flipping onto his side. He started wearing the seatbelt after that.