Wish list for upcoming season...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bassman, Feb 9, 2001.

1. Bassman

Bassman LawnSite Senior Member

If $2000 fell out of the sky what would you buy to make your business more effecient for the busy season this year?
    I have had a large number of customers who have a fenced back yard that created a problem this past year. I didn't want to turn down the business, however, the time it took to cut their back yard took too long. I have a Lazer Z 52" ZTR but only a Toro 22" push mower for gated backyards with smaller gates. Most gates are around 36". I could benefit greatly by having a 36" commercial walk behind. It would get me in & out pronto. Every spring there seems to be used one's for sale in the paper for around $1000. That would be my first priority. Next, I have an Echo hand held blower. I would like a good back pack blower. When it rained or even sprinkled last year, my hand held blower didn't have the velocity to blow off clippings from drives and walks. Around $450? There's two things I would really like for this upcoming season. Next, maybe a chain saw or power pruner. How about you guys? $2000 out of nowhere to buy/upgrade for the busy season coming...
    Bassman

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

For 2 g's I could put new skins on all our equipment.

;-)
    Kris

3. cleancut

cleancut LawnSite Member

Man $2,000 bucks don't go very far in this business...I would probably get another backpack - shindaiwa eb630 and would use the rest for gas money...I already have plenty of equip...Derrick

4. DMC300

DMC300 LawnSite Senior Member

Just enough to make a couple of loan payments!

5. Bassman

Bassman LawnSite Senior Member

I guess $2000 is chump change from the responses so far. I started with an initial investment of $6000 and have built a pretty good base after 7 months. There's a lot to be said about being debt free. I guess I'm from Lawrence Stone's school of thought. :)

[Edited by Bassman on 02-09-2001 at 09:47 PM]

6. With 2 grand, I'd buy a bp blower, and a fertilizer spreader for my DC. Then put the rest down on a good pull aerator.

7. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Aerator like Eric has
    Fertilizer spreader like Eric has
    A real good 21" mower (is there one)

OOOOPS, just like me to go over budget!

8. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

HOMER

I talked with several guys today on the phone and they sauid that they are going to be purchasing the scotts brand available at home depot. They have heard great things about their ability to hold up, and with the gear drives they should save on laborers wear and tear.

Thought this might help.
    Kris

9. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I wonder if Lowes sells them, we ain't got no Homer Depo hyar in the sticks. What kind of engine do they have on them?

10. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator