Wish My 60" Was A 72" ??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CODYHEATHER, Sep 18, 2001.

CODYHEATHER LawnSite Member

Just curious, before I buy a new ZTR, how many of you wish you would have purchased a 72" instead of a 60" ? Would the 72" limit you when it comes to mowing your smaller residential properties? I have two large commercial propertys to mow, and a 72" would be perfect, but if I want to get into smaller residential property, I'm afraid that I would limit myself as to what I could mow. Any thoughts?:rolleyes:
  2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

It obviously will depend on your area and properties you can obtain for accounts. I have a 60" and really wish I had a 72". It just worked out that way for me though. I think a 60" stripes a little nicer, but to gain a foot per pass is alot when mowing 2 or 3 acres at a crack. On my particular properties there are only a couple that would have small areas I couldn't get the 72" through that I now can fit the 60". It would be worth it in the long run though. I also have quite a few properties with pine trees. The 60" cannot get under them as well because there is no offset with the deck, the tires roll over the branches. So I have more trimming time than if I could get further under with the 72" and the 11" offset. Good luck with your purchase.

HOWARD JONES LawnSite Member

Some guys use nothing but 21" mowers - they will obviously get into little places you couldn't begin to; so, your niche will be the big commercial properties like you already have - so what's wrong with that? If you need to "fill in" some smaller stuff to keep busy, a small mower will be a fairly small investment.
  4. DanG

DanG LawnSite Member

I have a 72" Toro Z and sometimes it's too big for doing smaller lawns, There's many times I wish I had a 60"-62" instead.

Also you have to make sure when you mow with it that the lawns do not have dips and high spots or you can end up scalping in some spots, some times you have to cut higher (3"-3.5")so it isn't such a problem.

CodyHeather, the Toro deck isn't offset like the exmark 72" is. It's only out past the left wheel maybe 4"-6"

Dan G.
  5. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

CODYHEATHER- Check out the Dixie Chopper flexible 78" offset deck. I saw it at louisville and it is great for under trees and unlevel terrain. I think they are at dixiechopper.com
  6. Flex-Deck

CODYHEATHER - See dixie choppers web site as I saw their new 78" flexlible deck in louisville - great for unlevel terrain and under trees.

HOWARD JONES LawnSite Member

I just looked at the DC site - flexdeck looks good for some things, but - can't lift it, right? - has to roll along until disconnected?
  8. Flex-Deck

Howard Jones - No, the deck hooks up 90 degrees into transport position with a hook that hooks over the bumper. It also has an automatic belt disengage when transporting as I remember.
  9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Darn, and I thought I'd get a Dixie with the Flex deck so I could trim hedges with the deck at a 90!:laugh:
  10. Flex-Deck

Scag48- Heck, give em a call. They might remove the disengager.:rolleyes: