Wishing I could bust some heads

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bohiaa, Dec 14, 2005.

1. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

i have 2 customers that keep telling me "CHECK'S IN THE MAIL" :gunsfirin

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Its the time of year, im sure others are hearing it too, it is unfortunate that we, that have already done the work, get thrown aside. Is happening to me too.

3. ODUrugger

ODUrugger LawnSite Member

Send certified (signature required) mail asking for the money... Thats the first step towards getting the $ in small claims court

4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Well Well Well.....

I had this one time clean up and this guy was very slow paying.

So I called him last night telling him that I have 25 bags of leaves with his name on them, If I end the day tomorrow with no pay, he will have his leaves back.

I checked my mail today and you would never belive what was in there

5. newleaflandscape

newleaflandscape LawnSite Senior Member

bohiaa

Glad to hear you got your money, but there are alot of other ways to get paid then by threats. Usually when I dont get paid, I call the customer and say : Hey I was just looking through the books and saw that we dont have a record of any final payment for the job we did for you. This could be a bookkepping error of ours, but I wanted to check with you and see if you had sent it in, or if not, wheter there was a problem that we could resolve for you. Always shows customer respect when you act like it may have been your fault. And when doing things this way you will get those customers to spread good news about you not bad news. Do you want that guy to go around town telling everyone that he was 2 days late on the bill so you threatened to trash his lawn? Because that is exactly how these things usually turn out. Besides that fact, I m not sure if you knew this but if you had spread his leaves back on his lawn he could have pressed charges against you for vandalism. I know this because a friend of mine installed some shrubs and trees, and the people didnt pay, so he went back and pulled everything he planted out. 2 days later cops were at his door to arrest him for theft. The owners dropped the charges, but he had to go back and replant the plants and still hasnt gotten pay from them to this day. When ever you are frustrated with a customer, always let yourself cool down before you do something you will regret.

6. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, I do...well sometimes.

Thanks. It gets so agervating sometimes....

Thanks again

7. Coreyb

Coreyb LawnSite Member

yes, keep your cool. the sad thing is small claims is usually a huge waste of time. even if you get a judgement, you still have to collect. i usually have to eat one dead beat per year. the trick is, don't let them get too much in to you. cut them off. after i have tried to collect the nice way, i show up at their house, saturday morning about 7am. people have a harder time saying no to your face.

8. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

So you're Booby G's protege. Sounds like some rediculous threat he would make (and probably never follow through with).

9. FLAhaulboy

FLAhaulboy LawnSite Senior Member

Well Well Well.....

I had this one time clean up and this guy was very slow paying.

So I called him last night telling him that I have 25 bags of leaves with his name on them, If I end the day tomorrow with no pay, he will have his leaves back.

I checked my mail today and you would never belive what was in there

this is called EXTORTION which is a criminal felony charge. these kinds of threats will put you in prison for many years! wise up and quit being stupid.