With monthly payment came note

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jozgators, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Jozgators

Jozgators LawnSite Member

Recieved my monthy payment for a customer what caught me by suprise was a lttle message. " Someone was solicating for $ 130.00 a month for the same services." The services are the usaul plus weed control in beds, trimming hedges,palms the kicker is these are one acre lots. This price is quite a bit lower than I charge, and there is no way I will go down in price. I know who left the flyer, he is someone just starting out and is a solo operator just like me. I am going to send a letter to the customer stateing why I can't lower my cost, should I say anything about the person who sent the flyer? My gut tells me not say anything about the other LCO and just take the high ground and see what happens. Sorry to be so long winded.

2. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't even cut it for that price but don't badmouth others .

3. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Sir, Don't blame you for being interested in saving the extra money. Please for your own sake make sure the new company is licsensed and insured. Thank you for your past business and if you need any assitance in the future please feel free to call.

Thank You

I Can Not believe This ( Your Name)

4. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

My approach has always been to sell myself and my services without attacking my competition. In person is the best, it is harder for them to fire you in person, never hurts to mention supporting a family too! I try to remind them how dependable I have been. Definitely do not get upset in front of the customer, no matter what. I ask them if they have been happy with the service and the results. I usually let them know I really enjoy keeping their place looking good. In my opinion, it puts you in a bad place if you go down on price just to salvage account, unless you really need it to survive, because average joe thinks, well then you were charging too much before and gets upset about it. Best, if at beginning of season, to just say, best I can do not to lose you is have no price increase this season, if you can afford it though.

If you cannot keep account. That it has been a pleasure serving them. Tell them you will check back with them in the future and they can always call you anytime, make sure they have another card. Put them on a call list and pay attention to property if you drive by there. Call them right when you notice something that you know would not pleasing to them, like yard was not mowed before the weekend or whenever they liked it mowed. If after awhile you still do not notice anything, still call and see how things are going for them. :cool:

5. Triple R

Triple R LawnSite Member

Is a client who wants you to match a lowballer worth keeping? I don't compete on price I compete on quality of service and knowledge. A client who shops by price alone is not worth having because someone else will always do it for less.

6. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

If its way below the going rate for your area, I'd let them know, they can take it for what its worth. $130 a month for an acre lot is ludicrous.

7. kmclawn

kmclawn LawnSite Member

Everybody above is right. Keep on the good side of the customer. When the other guy doesn't do the job as well as you have been doing they will call you back. I've been down that road before. If the other guy does a really good job he won't be in business long if he is charging real low. I lost two lowballers in my area last summer. Good luck.

8. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Bingo! At least someone here is thinking.

:D

9. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

i have lost many accounts to guys that were half the price as me and they did a better job,,,,, for years!

10. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

you guys have your heads up your butts if you dont think people are dying to save money on anything that theycan save money on!

you guys will change insurance, phone service, lawn repair shops and so on,,,,,if you can save money! so why would you expect less of your customers!