With option of constant pressurized mainline or pump relay, which would be preferred

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by enorl76, Jun 11, 2014.

1. enorl76

enorl76 LawnSite Member

So I have this large residential system, we're just about to finish things out.

3" mainline thats about 700ft long with about 15ft elevation change from end to beginning.

We have a 3HP Sta-rite DHG pumping water. Its turned on via pump relay. I'm guessing the internal check valve on the pump is allowing some leakage down because it takes a long time to fill up the mainline (being 3" and X cuft of water) and so forth. Periodically theres a 2" threaded tee that supplies 2x Hunter 2" PGV valves and the irrigation zone

Should I put in a pressure switch (with small tank) instead and keep the mainline pressurized, or let it be non-pressurized while the system isnt running.

What's your thoughts, professionals?

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

You could start by installing your own check valve(s) on the pump. I think the old sta-rite check design was just a leather flap.

3. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Find and fix the leak(s)
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. enorl76

enorl76 LawnSite Member

You are correct, its just a leather flap.

We're pulling from a lake, I will install a checkvalve right on the inlet.

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If the water was really cruddy, you could even consider a check on the outlet on the theory that the water could be filtered enough to keep it from fouling a check valve.