1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

With so many inventions on this site, why....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by justmjc, Mar 31, 2004.

1. justmjc

justmjc LawnSite Senior Member

has no one been able to come up with an invention like this. Well, there is, but, more affordable.

What if you wanted to create an extra deck in addition to the main deck, like a flex deck or something. Basically, to give an extra cut, but still be flexible to take off in smaller locations. So, you take an old push mower deck, and somehow create a bracket to mount the unit to the main deck, and add caster wheels. You could either gut the thing and put a pulley on the push mower deck and run it into the main, or just keep the mower engine and swap somehow to a larger gas tank on the push.

Yea, this is ONLY an idea or concept, without much thought, but people on here make some nice things. Anyone dream this or made it a reality at low cost?
  2. Del9175

Del9175 LawnSite Senior Member

I used to see a guy doing this sort of thing behind his JD tractor. It was a probaly 12-15 years ago. He mounted a bar on the back and had two push mowers attached. I never did get a close look at it to see just how he did it though. From a distance it looked as if he was pulling the push mowers backwards which I always thought was weird.
  3. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

PC. justmjc made reference to the Flexdeck in his original post but he asked for something more affordable.

Sorry, justmjc, I can't help you out there buddy.
  5. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 LawnSite Member

Why not buy a mower with a bigger deck? All that gadget crap will only take time to build, redoing if something is wrong, and mounting or unmount as the job see fit. Just my opinion, I could never understand that flex deck stuff. Running a stock mower with extra weight, blades, and belts just doesn't seem wise to me. Don't really see commercial guys running anything like that. Too much aof a toy if you ask me.
  6. celltech

celltech LawnSite Member

As a joke I was going to post a picture of my 63" PUSH mower. The other day I was thinking about....AS A JOKE... connecting 3 21" mowers together at the wheels. The ones on the outside would have there rear wheels attached to the front wheels of the middle one.
    THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN FOR JOKE ONLY. But hey, take one mower off and your down to 42".

7. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

There was a member on this site many moons ago named TwoToros who mowed w/ 2-21" Prolines side by each & he even provided a video. Suposedly this was common practice in his area.
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I remember that! Damn, whatever happended to him I wonder???
  9. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Actually, they already have stuff like that. I haven't used them, but they should work fine. Just take your super Z or whatever, and put one/two of the pull along decks from northerm supply.
    They're not alot of money, either. I'm guess guy's just haven't tried them yet.
  10. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

justjmc - you are on the right track. It is possible.