with yearly fertilization program make it mandatory core aeration

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ant, Sep 17, 2000.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

i do believe that aeration helps turf grass but most of my customers do not sign up for core aeration . do you think it would work for core aeration as a requirement for the fertilization programs if worked in the price per application somehow? what do you guys think? it seems that the lawns that have problems are the ones that just get the applications nothing else.
    anthony

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I agree that a lawn would benifit from a yearly aeration. But some customer just don't want it. They don't want to see plugs all over their lawn. Don't force it, just suggest it.

3. ant

thanks bob i feel the same .one part of me says areation and the other part says i might loose a bunch of accounts.

4. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I wouldn't recommend it in your fert. program cause there are so many variables involved. Just suggest to customers that it would be recommended and ask if they would like a free no obligation estimate.

5. cutntrim

cutntrim LawnSite Senior Member

Nah, don't make it mandatory. Think of all those lawns that really suck to aerate. We've got several customers we don't even offer it to.

6. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

This can be good and bad. I did this on my "deluxe" program when I first started out. On the plus side, if you do the aeration in the fall, and you offer a 5 application program, you are essentially getting your money up front, because you collect 1/5 of it from each application. This also helps the customer, by spreading out the cost.

The down side is that it drives the application cost way up, and often times people will only look at the bottom line, and think that you are priced too high.

Try and offer it as a part of a premium package. Upsell it.

7. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

I agree w/ jaclawn I offer 3 different programs. The best includes aerating and thatching. How do I sell it. EDUCATION. People will gladly give me the work if they understand thats what the turf needs. I dont feed them any BS. If the lawn doesnt need it then I say so. They like that.

8. ChrisYanik

ChrisYanik LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

In my opinon....core aeration is just a gimick. The only time that I could see it benefiting a lawn is if it's done several time a year and if the plugs are broken up or raked up. Most guys around here just leave the plugs laying on the lawn which in my opinon would only lead to a bumpy lawn which requires rolling in the spring.....and doesn't lawn rolling somewhat defeat's the purpose of aeration???

On top of these thing....handling an aerator is a real son-of-a-bit*h.

9. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

Aerating is just a gimmick? I don't think so.

"On top of these thing....handling an aerator is a real son-of-a-bit*h. " Not a tow behind unit!!!

10. ant

CRIS: YOU JUST OPENED A CAN OF WORMS!!!

BY THE WAY SINCE KERBY TOLD ME ABOUT THE 60 LB. WEIGHT,THAT I REMOVED (HIDDEN ON MY AERATOR) IT IS EASY TO HANDLE.