Wives Tales in the Green Industry

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lbmd1, Dec 3, 2003.

1. lbmd1

lbmd1 LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering how many of you guys ( especially you New Englanders) have some wives tales of how bad you predict winter to be. I was thinking today while doing clean-ups how many pine needles there are this year compared to last. I grew up with the tale that if the pine cones were large and clustered towards the tops of the trees, then it would be a hard snowfall year. Also noticed personally that every year going into winter, that if there were tons of acorns on the ground, it was mother nature's way of helping out woodland creatures. Last year we had millions of acorns, and then a heavy snowfall season. This year barely an acorn nor pine cones on the tops of trees. My prediction will be a light year. Anyone else have any folklore tales to share?

Mike

2. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

If I have to wear long pants for more than a week its a cold year.

3. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

SE Iowa - If the squirrel tails are big and fluffy - bad winter: If the caterpillars are black and fluffy - bad winter:
    If the Farmers Almanac predicts a bad winter - that is the truth:

4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

No, but the corn should be "knee high by the 4th of July"

5. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Flex, I have heard before that when caterpillars turn black, it's going to be bad winter. I never follow the almanac, they're usually never right. Forecaster is the easiest job. You get payed 6 figures to guess what the weather is.

6. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

I have become a little hesitant on relying on the farmers almanac. Its general idea (predictions) are usually correct but day-day and week-week, they tend to be quite off. I mean-its all based on theory, predictions and educated guesses so theirs not much more to expect than that.

Other than that...no wives tales...however, my math teacher is a meterologist and he usually has a good idea!

As for the winter prediction-
    cold and snowy according to him.

However, not like last year in CT where all out "major" snow events were spread out....he said maybe 1-3 moderate events a week:eek: Wether that be curse of blessing I dont know.

7. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

The worst I've heard is that if you water a turf area middle day in full sun that the water will magnifiy the suns rays and burn the grass.........................A know it all client thought that that was somthing I should know..............The guy thinks he's a greenkeeper.