WM pressure regulator almost screwed us

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by 1idejim, Jul 27, 2013.

1. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Doing the walkthrough on a troubleshoot i just finished and the valve for station 28 wont come on at all.

New solenoid and innerds and it won't work from the clock.

The landscape mgmt. guy thought that it was electrical and i said no, my notes said 28 had 41.8 R - 25.4 E - .237 I, it had to be hydraulic.

Seems this valve had a pressure regulator originally and when it was removed a screw wasn't removed from the solenoid port.

Once the screw was removed the valve worked without issue.

If i hadn't kept records of my measurements and believed in them, we could have been chasing our own tails for hours on this (20 acre) site.

2. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

Almost screwed by the screw. I had forgotten about those little screws that go in the solenoid discharge port when the regulator is installed.

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Now that is screwed!

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Yup, and it wrecks the bonnet should you want to remove the PRV.

5. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe for you boss, but none were ruined when we did them.

6. Mike Leary

That little screw hogs out the port. If you replaced the prv, that would be one thing.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  7. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

There was no issue with the 15 - 20 that we did.

We removed the screw easily and the valves functioned.

They may have future issues but the fellow that i worked with didn't say that they ever experienced failures.

You may have been working behind someone that used larger screws boss.

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

We had any number of solenoid replacements on W*M valves that required a replacement of the rubber seat that worked with the plunger of the original (look, no spring!) solenoid. Easy to remove and replace.

9. Mike Leary

Hmm, I needed to remove some WM prvs on 21000 valves and the factory told me to replace the bonnet if I was not going to use them anymore.Who knows? You farm boys always have an answer.:dizzy:

10. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Learned something today. If the pressure regulator was shipped installed, the diaphram was turned 90 degrees at the factory and the screw is eliminated.

If there is no screw in the discharge port then the diaphram must be turned to the regular position.