WM SL Does it still collect deficits in Off?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by villagegreenlandscape, Sep 9, 2007.

1. villagegreenlandscape

villagegreenlandscape LawnSite Member

I have a custodian at a church I'm helping out at who doesn't like the new Smartline controller watering as much (causes him to mow once a week instead of every-other) so he turns it off sometimes. I'm working with the church trustees to slap his hands but until then I'm not sure if it's tracking. Does anyone know if the controller still logs deficits if it is set to off?

2. Rotor_Tool

Rotor_Tool LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have a manual in front of me, but I am fairly certain that off is off. I don't think the controller will "collect" and add to a deficit. Fimco is pretty familiar with this controller, he can probably confirm this.

3. I will turn mine off tonight and let you know. Actually JWingfield is a little more of an expert than I am so he may weigh in.

4. Just for the record my deficit is .23" and I've turned it off. It may rain which will foul up our experiment but I'll repeat.

5. Rotor_Tool

.23" - is that a daily measurement?

6. No that is the accumulated since it last watered which was Th. I still only water twice a week. The temps for the past five days have been mid to low 90s with lows around 75. The soil is listed as clay and the plants are listed as warm season turf. It has not recorded todays deficit yet. 33 degree N latitude.

7. Rotor_Tool

Got it, I was thinking it must be dang hot and dry in TX right now if that was the daily ET.

8. villagegreenlandscape

villagegreenlandscape LawnSite Member

I suppose I could have tried this on my own here in Dallas. Unfortunately (fortunately) it rained today so now I have no deficits. I'm pretty sure it doesn't record. I'm wondering if there is a way of skipping a day, say for a party or in the case of the church a garage sale, without losing the deficit.

9. Rotor_Tool

Only if you know what day of the week this will occur, then set that day to off in the schedule. I don't think the WM will let you turn off a calendar day. This is a new feature on RB's LX Modular controllers, as it gains popularity it will make it's way to additional manufacturers controllers.

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Why not decrease the turf zone percentage to fit the maint. needs? As long as the turf looks good and is healthy....?

BTW from the manual:

If the dial is in the SYSTEM OFF position at 12:00 am, all Auto Adjust watering deficits are cleared and no
    new deficits will accumulate.

Personally I think this is not a good function. Deficits should be tracked regardless of what mode the controller is in, less pulling the plug.