Wobbly wheels on trailer?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Expert Lawns, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Do you guys not have mandatory year trailer inspections where you are?? In PA any dual axle trailer must be inspected once a year and any slightest problem must be repaired to pass the inspection. Seems they have to replace my wheel bearing every year or 2.

2. Anthony Orlando

Anthony Orlando LawnSite Member

Can any one tell me how much grease to put in on a greasable bearing. I mean there is zerks for the bearings. The trailer is 3 years old( not used a whole bunch). Just wondered how much to grease them.Thanks

3. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

Evan, who inspects the trailers? SOS? OSHA? Just wondering because I've never heard of that up here. Also, I just bought the trailer (used) and haven't had the chance to go over everythign. I still need to check out the wiring. I'm sure that needs work too.

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Do yall have a state inspection in Mich. In Va the same garage that inspects cars and trucks do the trailers also

5. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

I use synthetic wheel bearing grease. Do you know how to pack them?

6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

7. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

no clue playboy. was hoping to do it this weekend, so any input will be helpful. thanks guys

8. KathysLGC

Yeah those bearing packers are great. To do it by hand you need to get dirty. Put about a table spoonful of grease in the palm of one hand. If your right handed it might be easier to put the grease in your left hand, now take the bearing and cup the grease with it. Kinda like your peeling a thin layer of grease from your hand. Hard to explain....
    Aw heck try this link...

http://www.rverscorner.com/articles/bearing1.html

9. KathysLGC

Oh yeah if you plan on reusing the existing bearings the procedure is the same. Just repack the bearings till the new grease comes out the other end.

10. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

When you are putting the wheels back on after you have regreased the bearings, make sure that you don't get the nut too tight. You would think that because it is a big nut then you really have to tighten it a lot - not so. Just a regular wrench will do - even pliars work.

Tighten the nut reasonably tight (just a little bit of torque with the wrench) and spin the tire. This is so everything gets seated properly. Then, back the nut off and tighten it with your fingers. You then want to tighten it just a little with the wrench - 1/4 turn or maybe even a little less.

I know that most of you guys already know this but I would hate for someone who thought that it sounded easy to wreck a couple of hubs.