wolly adelged

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by scott185, Apr 5, 2003.

1. scott185

scott185 LawnSite Member

Does any one have a spray program for wooly adelged in hemlocks. Also how should I charge for spraying 40-50 ft trees.

I am thinking of using permitherin and hort oil twice per season.

Thank you in advance

2. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

we treat hemlock adelgid a couple of different ways-

early spring (now) hort oil
    early fall hort soap with oil

now that is for wide open properties where drift is not a concern, other wise soil injection of merit once (bit more costly for customer, great control and no worries of drift)

3. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

We now inject all our hemlocks. Works incredible, 12 month protection.

4. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I would simply say to monitor your hemlocks. At first sign of any adelgid presence, blast them all with hort oil or insect soaps. Use Merit only if you are in highly populated areas. How big of a sprayer do you plan on using for this? I know people who use 1500 gallon spray rigs JUST for wolly adelgid.

5. Enviro Green

Enviro Green LawnSite Senior Member

It seems the best way to treat adelgid without using excess insecticies would be to get a handle on the number and then use a drench which would be taken up be the hemlock and offer protection. All unprotected hemlocks in our area will be gone in 10 years due to adelgid and then you can give up merit apps if you want. This is more appealing to homeowners than sparying a blanket. Where are you at?

This is Virginia Tech Forestry info.

Thanks

John